Gurgling and coughing chicken

ScotianChick

Songster
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
My three year old Silverlaced Wyandotte (Zoe) was coughing and gurgling tonight when I went out to shut the coop. I looked down her throat and did not see any parasites. Her noises remind me of me when I get a chest infection. What's the deal? There are scarcely any hens in my village... what could she have caught?

I have a Rhode Island Red not sure how old. Bought her from barn auction. She to is sneezing and coughing. She sounds like she has a cold. She has been kept by herself away from the rest of the flock. She looks like she is struggling to breath. We started giving her Vetrx.
This was 3 days ago. She now is starting to cough up mucus. I am going to start her on DURAMYCIN tomorrow. Can I give her this and the Vetrx? Is there anything else I can do for her? Please Help!!!! Don't want to lose her.

I have a Rhode Island Red not sure how old. Bought her from barn auction. She to is sneezing and coughing. She sounds like she has a cold. She has been kept by herself away from the rest of the flock. She looks like she is struggling to breath. We started giving her Vetrx.
This was 3 days ago. She now is starting to cough up mucus. I am going to start her on DURAMYCIN tomorrow. Can I give her this and the Vetrx? Is there anything else I can do for her? Please Help!!!! Don't want to lose her.
For both of you, not being there to see, I would still say they have a severe poultry respiratory infection. You can try the Duramycin-10 at the highest dose but you may need to switch to Tylan to stop the symptoms. If this is some form of MG or Coryza, the whole flock is at risk. You really need to practise extreme biosecurity right now. Please, please, please, remember, it's not just your birds that are sick, it's you as well. You can spread this to others by walking into a feed and grain store, a bank, any place. Keep it there by biosecurity and treat the symptoms as needed.

Thank you for the information. I put her on Tetroxy HCA-280. I found the Duramycin at Tractor Supply but it was an injection for cattle? Wasn't sure how to use it. Also have her on Durvet vitamins and electrolytes. At night I rub her down with Vetrx and cover her cage. She
is doing very well. The sneezing isn't as bad and she is eating and drinking good. How long will it take to get over this? Is it like when we have a cold?

Thank you for the information. I put her on Tetroxy HCA-280. I found the Duramycin at Tractor Supply but it was an injection for cattle? Wasn't sure how to use it. Also have her on Durvet vitamins and electrolytes. At night I rub her down with Vetrx and cover her cage. She
is doing very well. The sneezing isn't as bad and she is eating and drinking good. How long will it take to get over this? Is it like when we have a cold?
Chickens do not get colds. Unfortunately they get diseases. There are so many that have the symptoms so very similar, it is hard to know unless you have testing or are well versed in the subtle symptoms. Sinus infections are different and can mimic some of the diseases too, but don't infect the bird for life as the diseases do. That's not to say they won't come back, they might if the bird is prone to them due to genetics or whatever. If this is something like a MG or Coryza, the bird will carry it forever. The symptoms will go away but not the disease and stress can and will bring it back. These birds can also give it to everyone in the flock now and later.

Chickens do not get colds. Unfortunately they get diseases. There are so many that have the symptoms so very similar, it is hard to know unless you have testing or are well versed in the subtle symptoms. Sinus infections are different and can mimic some of the diseases too, but don't infect the bird for life as the diseases do. That's not to say they won't come back, they might if the bird is prone to them due to genetics or whatever. If this is something like a MG or Coryza, the bird will carry it forever. The symptoms will go away but not the disease and stress can and will bring it back. These birds can also give it to everyone in the flock now and later.

Back
Top Bottom