Gurgling getting worse in cold

Mayazoid

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2023
Hello,
I have 2 chickens. The first started with sneezing in November, and so did the second shortly after. Coughing started in the one, who seems to have had whatever this is worse. There was a bit of eye foam in the one. Coughing ended now, and the second never started coughing only sneezed. Now with the colder weather the second has started making this very phlegmy sounding gurgle. They both have rales.

Still active, obviously less due to the cold, both eating and drinking and healthy otherwise.

I thought MG at first, but would the flare-up still be going on for months now?

Maybe bronchitis, not sure about that one though...

Any thoughts? Thank you

MG is a chronic disease aggravated by stress. That includes environmental stressors such as weather. Treat the flock with Tylosin powder. You should be able to find it online or at feed stores.
I'm in ontario so things like that are very regulated and I can't very any. Mycoplasma is my worst fear in this case, so you think that's what it is?

It does sound like MG. It can clear up on its own, but severe cases can kill a chicken. It such a tragedy that governments have so severely regulated antibiotics that it's often a death sentence for flocks that need an antibiotic but can't get one. There may be ways around this, but it takes creativity and time.

Can't you get some antibiotics from a feed store or a vet? I usually recommend oxytetracycline in such cases, it's broad, does the job well and the birds tolerate it fairly well.

Back
Top Bottom