Gurgling/Rales/Respiratory Treatment not working

I think everyone is just trying to be helpful here, not really trying to put anyone down. Most of us are not experts on here, and there is very little medicating of chickens by vets or recommendations by the drug companies if you have been looking around online. Most of the info we have is just from backyard or old farmers who have tried various meds and got good results. If you read threads about Tylan use, the doses are all over the place. If you aren't seeing results with the Tylan you might up the dosage and see if it helps, but in a day or two I might switch to another. Some of these meds are very expensive, and if the lesser expensive ones work, that is good. It is good that there is a handbook out there on drugs, but since most of this is off-label use, I would appreciate the drug companies publishing doses more. Okay, off my soap box...

Thanks Eggsessive, I do appreciate the help and understand that no one is an expert! I just want to stay on topic as forums can sometimes gets sort of "preachy" if you know what I mean. :)
Regardless, I am here because I am trying to figure this out and save this poor hen, so I appreciate everyone taking the time to add their 2 cents!! Soapbox away, I am all ears.

Have you palpated the crop or taken a peek inside her mouth? Extended treatments with antibiotics can lead to yeast overgrowths and excessive mucus can mimic respiratory signs.

When birds wipe their beaks excessively, cough and sneeze, you automatically think it's a respiratory infection but the mucus coming up the esophagus from a yeast infection can also make them wipe, cough, and even sneeze.

Alternatively, candida can infect the respiratory tract directly. An Aspergillus respiratory tract infection is also a possibility.

Other possibilities include Tylan-resistant Mycoplasma as already mentioned and Chlamydia.

If you had diarrhea then chlamydia, candida, macrorhabdus are more likely.

Edit: air sac mites also a possibility.

Last edited:
And this is the Baytril info:

-Kathy

I think everyone is just trying to be helpful here, not really trying to put anyone down. Most of us are not experts on here, and there is very little medicating of chickens by vets or recommendations by the drug companies if you have been looking around online. Most of the info we have is just from backyard or old farmers who have tried various meds and got good results. If you read threads about Tylan use, the doses are all over the place. If you aren't seeing results with the Tylan you might up the dosage and see if it helps, but in a day or two I might switch to another. Some of these meds are very expensive, and if the lesser expensive ones work, that is good. It is good that there is a handbook out there on drugs, but since most of this is off-label use, I would appreciate the drug companies publishing doses more. Okay, off my soap box...
I would also like to see more info online... it's almost impossible to find it which is why I bought the the Plumb's book. What I have noticed from reading the book is that birds are often dosed much higher than other animals. Baytril is a good example of that... cats get no more than 5mg/kg, but birds get 15-20mg/kg.

This link has tons of dosing info birds:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

This is where I found it:
http://avianmedicine.net/

-Kathy

Thanks for all of the information. For some reason I was not alerted to all of the posts!! :(

I did take a look down her throat and there was nothing. No worms, no mucus, everything looking pink and healthy. I really think its the MG and the resistance to Tylan is likely. I ordered Bio-Mycin and dosed her two days ago...Already the gurgling has stopped and she is MUCh better. I have 2 more days of this treatment and then she is back out with the rest of the flock. Crossing my fingers that it will stick, but so far so good!!

Thank you all so much for the help. I had a hell of a time finding the correct dosage for the Bio-Mycin, but it was worth the hunt and I think it saved her.

Very interesting information on the Denegard, Suzierd. I will look into that for sure.

And Kathy, thanks for all the thorough information on the dosing. I will print this out for future reference!!

M

Back
Top Bottom