Gurgling sneezing biting ??

ourrune

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Palm bay fl
Please please help! Wanting to know if theres anything i can do at home. I dont think my chicks have coccidiosis but i dont know! One started to sneeze few days ago now its turned into congested sounds when she breathes normally and when she tries to chirp or what not the congestion prevents her and you can hear it. Thats when she gurgles. Happens maybe every 10 min or so sometimes a lot longer. Her eyes and everything are fine shes eating and drinking. they are 8 weeks old. Im at a complete loss as to what to do. She has always been a runt just recently grew a tail thats barley there, shes skinny and think maybe a boy.
I started giving them ultrakibble and medicated food. Shes scratching etc. acting mostly normal right now. I wouldnt know what is normal and what isnt however. She was tucking her head in and fluffing herself out and twitching her head and scratching her ear until i gave her the ultrakibble and medicated food and she stopped acting funny but still breathing badly.

They are in the house right now in a plywood box that is around 3ft by 2 ft wide temporarily until we get their coop and run finished. Floor has pine shavings.

How normal is it for them to bite at themselves? If they have external parasites what do i do about that? It has been quite a few days since this started and no one else is breathing badly or acting sick but i think she is biting and scratching herself more than she normally does.
Please any advise is helpful ive called 3 vets and no help what so ever.

Theres quite a few feathers all around the floor of the temp. Coop is that normal? They all bite at themselves a bit but i assumed that was normal behavior?

i just right now noticed my salmon faverolle just sneezed and shook her head and she was not doing that the other day. Please help us! If corid is what i need to do i will i just didnt think that was what the problem was i want to make sure i get them the right help. :(

Coccidiosis is marked by bloody droppings, not really upper respiratory symptoms. You could try VetRX, which is a natural blend of essential oils that is great for sneezing and nasal discharge. However, if the gurgling and sneezing worsens at all, and her eyes start to produce discharge, I might start antibiotics, and the type we have in our chicken and duck first aid kit is Duramycin-10. We also have a lot of feathers in on the coop floor, and I think that all chickens shed feathers to some extent. Hope this helps! Good luck with your birds.

-Alexandra33

we had a similar issue with our gold-laced orp chick. We gave tylan 50 (any tractor supply has it) injectable liquid orally at 1/10CC (10IU) once daily for the last 5 days. Seemed better after day one, no symptoms after day 2 and is now happy and bouncy as ever.
You can get syringes for drawing the meds at TS too. Draw the tylan with a syringe with a needle, remove needle and feed to chick.

We would draw 1/4 CC (25iu) and feed it to the chick off the tip of the syringe until we were satisfied it had gotten 1/10 of a cc and discard any leftover.

I can't speak to the rest of the symptoms, we dealt with respiratory issue only.

G/L!

My chickens got so bad I never thought I would be able to save them especially my two prize roosters. They look terrible and sounded even worse than they looked. Not sure of your weather there but I brought mine inside with air con and it seemed to ease their breathing because the humidity was at a minimum. I injected my sick ones for about 5 days and they did well but three weeks later they relapsed and treated them the same way now they have been fine.

Thank you so much everyone! I didnt receive notice anyone replied to this im very grateful someone did after all! it means a lot thank you! Since i didnt see this last night i went out to Tractor supply and tried to find vetrx at 5 places no one has it so i ordered it on ebay and will be here in 2 days. I put oregano oil, apple cidar vinegar, garlic clove, nutri-drench and olive oil in their drinking water and gave them a bunch of fresh herbs with tumeric And cinnomin because it was all i could find on helping their respitory last night.

Where do i find the Duramycin-10? Is the tylan 50 an antibiotic? I checked one birds feathers and vent area and all looked fine that i could tell and her eyes are fine but i can feel the gurgling right under her throat. What kind of anti-fungal, is there a brand name? Im willing to try all until i get something that seems its working. We are almost ready to put them outside and im hoping that will be the answer to our problems.

Could it be possible that its because shes in our house in the plywood box with aspen and pine wood shavings but in some areas they have scratched all of the shavings off to the side and its just bare plywood flooring and feed that has turned to dust and poop probably too thats turned to dust im assuming. And the screening i out over them probably doesnt provide much venalation. I opened the window to the room they are in. I am in fl its very humid here.

Just incase anyone sees this and wants an answer my girl got pretty bad and i just used nutri-drench vit in their only source of drinking water wth olive oil oregano oil (only one or two drops) a crushed garlic clove and 4 tablespoons of apple cidar vinegar. Then i used saline drops in her eyes 3 x a day and gave them chopped up fresh basil thyme dill oregano with powdered cinnomin and tumeric on top and all of those herbs i sprinkled on top of a sliced canelope so the herbs wouldnt spill and she started to get better the very next day and 3 days later she was completely clear. I massaged her throat when i gave her drops in her eyes also. Not sure if it was a combination or one specific thing but something worked! I didnt change her environment so it had to be the herb concoctions!! Pretty awesome... thanks for everyone's help!

Back
Top Bottom