Gutted!

For your hens sake, I recommend only keeping one. Although ten per rooster is recommended, you could probably get away with 7-8 per rooster since they're a heavier breed. With as few of hens as you have, they'll get worn and defeathered. It's much easier just to deal with one rooster because six is a bit low for one even ☹️

For your hens sake, I recommend only keeping one. Although ten per rooster is recommended, you could probably get away with 7-8 per rooster since they're a heavier breed. With as few of hens as you have, they'll get worn and defeathered. It's much easier just to deal with one rooster because six is a bit low for one even ☹️
Thank you for your info :) very helpful

Thank you for your info :) very helpful
Everything depends on individual personality no matter what folks and guidelines say.. They are said with good reason, BUT.. sometimes we roll with it.

I have 2 cockerels and 4 pullets.. just reached mating age.. 6 months and zero issues.. yes, they have fall outs as any sibling or room mate will. It has gotten bloody but with plenty of room to get away and simmer down, it's turned to mostly posturing and they hang out and roost together otherwise. My ladies are NOT over mated and I'm NOT using saddles.

If I had to choose only one for the hens sake I would keep the large fowl roosters.. banties got plenty of heart but many of my ladies won't have anything to do with them. And they are often the most off balance, meaning lacking manners and common sense.

I DO agree though that one rooster IS easier than two.

Just the other day one boy stayed with the main flock and the other boy helped a lady choose a nesting site.

Even with plenty of ladies if a rooster chooses a favorite.. some may be mounted excessively and others not at all.

When keeping a stag pen more boys are better than fewer.

Please figure out what works for YOUR flock. :fl

Gosh what an awful choice to have to make for which one goes. Does it make any difference that the two cockerels have been together since day 1 and one is a pekin bantam? I think the Sussex in the pic is about 14-15 weeks (but the breeder didn't know for sure) and 1.6kg
The reason 2 cockerels is too much for 6 hens is because together, they will over mate the females. That will show physically with loss of feathers and will stress then out. I'd pick one and stick with 1 unless you plan on getting more girls.

Everything depends on individual personality no matter what folks and guidelines say.. They are said with good reason, BUT.. sometimes we roll with it.

I have 2 cockerels and 4 pullets.. just reached mating age.. 6 months and zero issues.. yes, they have fall outs as any sibling or room mate will. It has gotten bloody but with plenty of room to get away and simmer down, it's turned to mostly posturing and they hang out and roost together otherwise. My ladies are NOT over mated and I'm NOT using saddles.

If I had to choose only one for the hens sake I would keep the large fowl roosters.. banties got plenty of heart but many of my ladies won't have anything to do with them. And they are often the most off balance, meaning lacking manners and common sense.

Just the other day one boy stayed with the main flock and the other boy helped a lady choose a nesting site.

Even with plenty of ladies if a rooster chooses a favorite.. some may be mounted excessively and others not at all.

Thank you so much. As will many other things I guess context is important. Thanks again

As fate would have it I now have three "stag pens"; I paid for 22 three week old " pullets", nine "turned into" roos. A great disappointment, but, I've kept them all; me thinks culling time is on the horizon - as I already had 4 roos of different breeds. It's too much testosterone for my little old yard - glad my nearest neighbors love to be bribed with the eggs.

nine "turned into" roos. A great disappointment, but, I've kept them all; me thinks culling time is on the horizon
Stinks when that happens. :hmm

Since I do all my own harvesting and I'm kinda slow, I can only get a couple birds per day, starting with the biggest trouble maker. I can usually sell off a few boys per year as potential flock masters. Most go onto the table. Some feed the feral barn cat.

Best wishes with yours! :fl

Thank you so much. As will many other things I guess context is important. Thanks again
Not common but not unheard of hens crowing. Normally in a flock with no roos the dominate hen will take it up if it happens.

Need clearer pictures of the rear for saddle feathers but it sure looks like its got a roo's hackles.
Hard to tell and I'm far from an expert but by the hackles alone I'm sticking with a male

The reason 2 cockerels is too much for 6 hens is because together, they will over mate the females. That will show physically with loss of feathers and will stress then out. I'd pick one and stick with 1 unless you plan on getting more girls.
Thanks everyone for your help. Since the weird noise on Friday (which I thought was a crow?) I haven't heard it again. He/she seems to make the same noise when chasing a hen?? Anyway here's some updated pics. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a girl!!
IMG_20200809_195009.jpg
IMG_20200809_195545.jpg
IMG_20200809_195544.jpg
IMG_20200809_195250.jpg

In pretty sure that's a cockerel. Age? You don't necessarily need 10-1 but it is better. Make sure they have plenty of space so the pullets can get away if need be. Have lots of activity, because while that's not a sure fix, acctiviys seem to keep my cockerel preoccupied and he only true to mate about 3 times a day verses the 20 or so times when they were penned up with nothing to do.

Back
Top Bottom