Gutted!

In pretty sure that's a cockerel. Age? You don't necessarily need 10-1 but it is better. Make sure they have plenty of space so the pullets can get away if need be. Have lots of activity, because while that's not a sure fix, acctiviys seem to keep my cockerel preoccupied and he only true to mate about 3 times a day verses the 20 or so times when they were penned up with nothing to do.
Thank you :) based on breeder info (not necessarily true!) She would be 14-15 wks

For 14 ish weeks, there really isn't much combing.
If it wasn't for the crowing I'd still say girl.
Sussex can lay by 16 weeks. Comb doesn't rule it out. But if it was indeed crowing, it's a male.
Thanks. This "crow" thing that I heard was definitely a new sound I hadn't heard before, but as a newbie, I'm not that sure it was a crow (or some other noise normal for hens!). Either way, I haven't heard it again since 🧐

The girl chasing...? That's a bit suspicious as well.
If you hear anything that sounds remotely like a crow, try and get a video.
It doesn't always sound like a crow.
Young cockerels sound like a cat being strangled sometimes.
There's certainly been some back & forth chasing (between all) in the last couple of weeks. We introduced two CLBs a fortnight ago, but things have settled down now. I'll try my best to get a video :)

If it helps, they sound like teenage boys trying to talk:oops: My cockerel got the hang of it, then he is squawking again. If the other rooster is dominate, it may be why he won't do it again. Wallys mighty crow is my favorite YouTube vid for a young rooster. My rooster is squawking and squeeking as we speak.

If it helps, they sound like teenage boys trying to talk:oops: My cockerel got the hang of it, then he is squawking again. If the other rooster is dominate, it may be why he won't do it again. Wallys mighty crow is my favorite YouTube vid for a young rooster. My rooster is squawking and squeeking as we speak.
Thank you :)
I've got a video but it won't let me upload
The other roo is a tiny pekin bantam who doesn't yet crow and hasn't appeared to dominate anything 😂

Back
Top Bottom