Gutter Feeder

britinpa

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Central Pennsylvania
I bought some gutter to use as a feeder with the intention of setting it on the hollows of concrete blocks, but it turned out that the holes in the blocks were too small for this guttering to fit in. My husband chiseled out some tree pieces to sit the gutter in and each end will be raised slightly more with a block. I intend putting this in the covered area of their run and will take the food in at night. Just a little concerned about them sitting on the ends and pooping in the food. Would you trim the ends as close to the trough to try and prevent this. Have any of you made something like this?

Attachments

• feeder.jpg
    feeder.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 54
Is this going to be for fermented feed? That's what I used gutter troughs for.
Maybe you could just Block the ends of so if they roost on the wood, they can't poop in the trough.
Hi, I did see that people use them for fermented, but no it's just going to be for their regular crumbles. I just think a trough would work good for our 8 chickens. I've been thinking a little more about it, and thought about square cutting each side of the stumps as close as possible to the guttering, to deter them from perching on the ends.

I use one (plastic, not metal). Mine is outside, and uncovered. Have used it for crumble, pellet, and (currently) fermented feed. By placing other things in the run for them to sit/stand/roost on at greater elevations, I have thus far completely avoided any tendency of the little beasts to poop on/in it.

Hope that helps.

/edit - mine is actually attached via gutter hangers to a wooden "stand" originally used to hold a compost barrel at a slight angle (the heat and FL Sun were making the contents too hot, which negatively affected the composting. Moved the barrel, but left the stand). The ends are uncapped. That **may** (or may not) be discouraging them from perching on the ends of it. Don't know, didn't give it any thought, its just the way it came together with scrap and repurposed "stuff".

Last edited:
I use one (plastic, not metal). Mine is outside, and uncovered. Have used it for crumble, pellet, and (currently) fermented feed. By placing other things in the run for them to sit/stand/roost on at greater elevations, I have thus far completely avoided any tendency of the little beasts to poop on/in it.

Hope that helps.
Thank you. They do have a a few areas where they can roost, so i'll keep my fingers crossed!!

/edit - mine is actually attached via gutter hangers to a wooden "stand" originally used to hold a compost barrel at a slight angle (the heat and FL Sun were making the contents too hot, which negatively affected the composting. Moved the barrel, but left the stand). The ends are uncapped. That **may** (or may not) be discouraging them from perching on the ends of it. Don't know, didn't give it any thought, its just the way it came together with scrap and repurposed "stuff".

I did see a video this morning where someone suspended theirs from the ceiling of the run, but they had wooden caps on the ends of their gutters with screws for easy hanging - I like that idea of suspending, but my husband had already cut these hunks of tree this morning, and I didn't think it would be a good idea to change the plan, LOL. Maybe in the future sometime.

Back
Top Bottom