Guys please help !

Shainam88

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2021
Hi I have a 5/6 month old polish . All of a sudden she seems a little sleepy. And green poop . When she does poop it’s very small compared to her regular poop. I am so worried she’s my favorite chicken. She’s never laid an egg but could she be egg bound or something else ? I attached her poop photo

Attachments

• 4A3EB873-3FDB-4155-9315-85BCA85C2879.jpeg
    4A3EB873-3FDB-4155-9315-85BCA85C2879.jpeg
    676.3 KB · Views: 6
Yes . It’s dark here so I can do in the morning. She’s eating a little. Her poops are like baby poops it’s really weird. And bright green . I’m wondering if this is broody behavior

Sparrows and such flying over the top can bring in parasites as can any hand-me-down items that have been used for poultry before.

Green generally means worms, protozoa, starvation, or overheating.

A local vet (even the cat\dog kind) can run a fecal float test to determine if internal parasites are the issue.

In the meantime, if she is not flocking, she should be isolated indoors so you can monitor her eating, drinking and poos.

Set up a quite place for her with an old towel and some paper towels over top (makes monitoring and cleaning poo much easier).

Make sure she's staying hydrated, but note down any increases or decreases in food\water intake.

Also, give her a simple physical. - feel her crop, take note if it is full\empty etc. As a general rule, it should be completely empty in the morning, full in the evening and at various levels throughout the day, but usually not completely empty.

Next, move down to the breast and note her musculature. A bird of a healthy weight should have well toned muscle and the keel bone should not be over prominent or poking out. In hybrid layers, they can be a bit on the leaner side, so if you're unsure if her condition is normal, check against a healthy hen of similar body type.

Last, the abdomen below the ribcage. Gently squeeze\massage her abdomen. Eggs will typically be pretty apparent, as will bloating. The abdomen should be firm yet malleable. This is another area where checking a healthy hen first comes in handy.

Also, take note if you suspect localised fever (judge this by another hen or thermometer - chicken norm is 105-107 f).

This shouldn't cause any pain, so take note of any discomfort or odd reactions to being checked over.

Lastly, have a look at her comb color. If she seems much paler than normal or has a blue tinge, those are big red flags that she needs an avian vet asap.

Back
Top Bottom