1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gynandromorph Chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Redcatcher, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I've been reading this thread because it is just so interesting. But I have to comment on your last pictures because I just have never seen a 10 year old chicken (then again I'm pretty new to the world of chickens). I'm impressed, but then again, you have quite a few interesting birds!

2. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I had an EE named Cookie that lived to be 18. Most of the birds in my flock are over 6, some are 10-12. Cookie started growing white feathers around her face, her beard was midway down her neck, not up under her beak they way it should have been. And towards the end, she laid eggs that were almost flat!

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG] Do you have pictures???

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Wow. You've been doing something right! Do you have any secrets? And I'm super impressed that Cookie was laying eggs at all at that age. I love it.

5. Redcatcher

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    My gynandromorph chicken laid an egg tonight. That is not supposed to happen...Is it?

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Interesting! Is it fertile? [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd love to see if it was fertile as well...

Do you have another pic? now that it's older?

8. Redcatcher

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    These are the lastest photos I have of it...her? The egg would not be fertile since it is not with a rooster. The dark side is almost sold black now but that is about the only difference. The fact that it laid an egg might immediately render the bird fertile. That is, it can reproduce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Maybe it fertilized it's own egg? [​IMG] Did you crack the egg open to see? Is that even a possibility, like in other species? Probably a stupid question, huh?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  10. Redcatcher

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Quote:I never even though of that! I am writing to the biologist tonight who is going to be genotyping this bird and its prospective parents. He might want the egg. I am sure it will lay more. It lives in the house and has been raising heck the past few days (hen noises). That is what made me check the cage and sure enough, there was the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by