Gypsy Vanner Horse Owners I need your knowledge

No maybe if they are 'mutts' or not. They are beautiful. And I have wanted one for years and years. I do not like them because of the hype or cost. Just personally they are everything I could want in a horse.

A few years back. I could name nearly every vanner in the states by picture.

4 years ago, then again the next year I got the opportunity to go out and visit some of the best mares in the country. 'The Rose' 'Silver Belle'

Along with quite a few others, uncluding Silver Phantom, and a BEAUTIFUL drum stallion named feather dancer aka harley.

Mary the owner was really nice. And she offered for me to come back anytime. And that if I lived close she would love for me to come ride.
ep.gif

Too bad I live more than 11 hours away. That about sealed the deal to me moving though. lol
tongue2.gif

I only have one goal in life. And that is to some day own a Gypsy Vanner. I already have a stash being put away, so some day. Like in 20 years. I will be able to afford that dream horse I've always wanted.

They were the sweetest horses by far I have seen. The stallion was well mannered. The mares were wooly and oh so cute. Perfect height. Lots of bone and feather. Oh it just makes me drool to think about it.
droolin.gif

A picture I took of The Rose. One of the most well known mares world wide. And mother of Panda Rose.

rosefront.png

Holy cow it has been a long time. Feels like it was just last year. But it's been 3 years :eek:

I have a Drum horse - mine happens to be 1/2 Clydesdale, and 1/2 Gypsy - they can be different percentages and still qualify as a Drum, as was noted in an earlier post. We choose a Drum for a couple of reasons - we had a Clyde cross before who we lost, and this time we wanted something similar but with more feather. A full Gypsy would have cost more, and been much shorter - we wanted a horse between 15 -16 hands, and Gypsys are often 14 or below.
The temperment is very calm, friendly - you have to be carefull that they do not get pushy as they want to be with you all the time.
Ours was taught to ride and drive so easily that it was weird - was out on trail by ride 4, and was pulling the buggy in two days.
Here she is:
30736_maddie.jpg
[/img]

big_smile.png
I use to be raised on a horse farm....my family did wood cutting - trail riding -showing....anything that was done with horses - we did it. I am 63 and have not seen such a beautiful animal as you have pictured since I owned a black and white paint that was a regular size horse of 16 hands. The one you have is a draft but is he a mix breed or did you catch what his breed is? I am used to the belgium breeds...most are paliminos. They are very gentle, fun to ride and drive and do work very hard. They are wonderful additions to a farm but please educate yourself on the different breeds whether it be a saddle horse or a draft horse. The best place to start is to visit a horse farm and ask a lot of questions. good luck and I hope you get the horse you need, or want.

Carolyn

Note: I am definately showing my age because this is a new type of horse. You can tell I have been with saddle horses more then drafts. I have never heard of the gypsy vanner....wish I had because I would want one at my farm!

Last edited:
Quote:
That is because they were invented only in the mid 1990s, as a commercial breed anyhow.

They do have a long history as a sort of landrace of crossbred draft-pony light-draft thingamajig, *not* restricted to Romany gypsies per se, been kicking around the less-well-off parts of the U.K. for ages... but the idea of inventing a registry and papers and breed standard, and marketing these previously dirt-cheap horses as A Rare Breed and demanding Large Sums Of Money for them was only thunk up fifteen years ago or so (and *not*, as far as I know, by the Romany travellers themselves...) :>

Enh. Fads come, fads go. They're the latest of the "hair breeds" to be passingly popular after all the warmblood fads had faded (once upon a time everyone had to ahve an Andalusian, then Friesian, then Spanish Mustang, then Fjords and Haflingers and Vanners...). It'll have moved on to something else five years from now. Not that there is anything whatsoever wrong with any of these critters as horses, but, people do get silly about prices and trends and buying a horse's LOOKS rather than actual compatibility with the particular horse, and I really have not seen these fads serving the breeds well overall
hmm.png
And this one barely even *is* a breed, certainly not a $20,000 type breed
tongue.png

JME,

Pat

Actually, I did post an ad on craigslist asking if anyone needed help with their horses and got an offer from a lady who is willing to show me the ropes. She has Tennessee Walking Horses and is currently training her two two-year-olds. So, I she is willing to teach me some training techniques too. And from what she was describing about where she lives I think she is just down the road from me.

Egg_Newton, thank you , that Drum stallion is not mine, he belongs to DuckDuck Moo on BYC, the Shire Mare in the second picture is mine.
You are oh so right when you describe their temperment. Sweetest easiest to train horses I've ever been around. Save up your pennies, with the economy right now, they definitely have come down in price. Keep your eye out all the time, network with drum people, someone may have just what your looking for.

AmCanyon, I love your mare and your carriage. I am so glad you mentioned how stable they are to start. I couldn't believe it myself until I started talking to other Gypsy/Drum owners , their temperment doesn't get mentioned , usually just their feathers and looks. Are you a member of the American Drum Assoc? If you are, then you may already know DuckDuckMoo and Boon(the Stallion pictured previously). Sure wished you lived closer. Your mare is what Laura is looking for to breed Boon with. Color, color color.

I'm the one that owns the Vanners. I get that they're mutts and all that but I have never been around more gentle and laid back horses - esp. for ones that are only a year and two years old like ours. We put a cart harness on our yearling last summer and she didn't even flinch... she just kept eating. I don't have any pics of ours, but here is a pic of the dad of one of ours and the mom to both.

27532_warlock.jpg

27532_missy-main.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom