Gypsy Vanner Horse Owners I need your knowledge

Ok... just to get back to the original thread topic for a second (sorry, gals
wink.png
)

Unless someone has spent a significant amount of time around Gypsy Vanners I don't think they can give an accurate judgement on the breed. I have 5 of them. I have also had thoroughbreds, tennessee walkers and quarter horses. Gypsies are hands down the most even tempered, calm horse I have ever encountered. I would trust my 3 and 5 year old to go out with them and not get trampled, kicked, etc. which I could not say about any other breed.

Recently I was at a farm that had an open house. They own over 130 vanners and had about 30 of them out in a field. They led their entire group of people (50-75 easily) through this field of horses. The horses did nothing. I have never in my life seen that before. Every other experience I've had with multiple horses in a field has been one starting something causing the other to act up and then start a stampede. One of my kids almost got ran over by a group of tennessee walkers that did this very thing and broke out of their fence.

People can say what they will but unless you've had daily interaction with one they really have no idea what they're missing.

Some of our girls:

27532_goldie.jpg

27532_whiskey.jpg

27532_willow.jpg

OHHHh that is such a cool thing to hear. I have had an appaloosa, morgan, TB, and an ornery pony - ridden some gaited horses, TN walker and a thrilling arab. My morgan was the most even tempered and trustworthy around anyone. My app was a pretty cool horse too, and would lay down in the field for a snuggle with me. Sure footed for sure too. But the things I've read about these vanners (and might also be a common trait with other breeds - I just not that informed) that they are just the most good natured and sweetest horses. Could you compare their temperment with a similar but another breed?

ETA I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!!!! THANKS!

Last edited:
I would say they're comparable to draft horses but more even tempered. They're like dogs... will follow you around just to be near you. We're just starting to be at the point that we need to 'break' the 2.5 year old. We put a saddle on her, bit in her mouth - the whole 9 yards and she didnt' do anything!!! The guy we had come over even stood on her back and she just stood there wondering what the big deal was.

Even our little yearling lets us mess with her feathers and hair without complaint. She also haltered brilliantly from 4 months old.
smile.png

i've been in a pasture full of standardbreds running and kicking and charging at me with a bag of grain slung over my shoulder... pour fast! and get the hell out! LMAO

oh and upon research, the 12 horse ale team were Belgian Roans.

Last edited:
welsummer - I wasn't saying that wasn't possible. I was stating my experience.

On a different and completely unrelated note -

I am not one to bash breeds of horses when I know nothing about them. In fact, I wouldn't bash a breed of horse anyway (unless I had years of bad experiences with them). You can't base breed judgement on one horse of that particular breed. Or even two. Or on how much they cost (which really has nothing to do with the actual breed... it makes them neither better or worse than other breeds).

All horses have been imported at one time or another... and most started out as a "mutt" at one point or another as well.

Last edited:
I think the fact that there is no such thing as a 'Gypsy Vanner' in Britain says it all. How romantic to think of the gypsies in their little caravans travelling the country; in reality they mostly use the kind towed by a vehicle, not an ornately-painted wooden vehicle. These cobs are the same horses that inhabit Irish housing estates. People living in flats will keep their horses tethered outside the buildings on any patch of grass or wasteland they can find. I have seen these horses living alongside main roads. If they're lucky enough to have a bucket of water they have usually knocked it over. There is a strange sense of entitlement to own a horse as it is part of their culture even though they don't have so much as a back yard. Illegal horse racing on finished roads leaves them maimed, not to mention presents somewhat of a traffic hazard. I guess as far as the horses are concerned it's a rags to riches story.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom