Gypsy Vanner Horse Owners I need your knowledge

MiniatureHorseSach.jpg

Quote:
It's an honest-to-God fact! Apparently denial is widespread or it is a marketing ploy. The mystique must help drive up the asking prices as the truth would not. I'd tell you the same in person
wink.png

I'll repeat, I grew up seeing these horses daily (and no before we go off on that tangent again I have nothing against the horses themselves). They are not revered. They're often not even well cared for. They are work horses and not high priced ones at that. The average gypsy isn't exactly rolling in money (well the more enterprising ones might be now, but i'd imagine they're not profiting the most).

If someone was exporting Mustangs and selling them for tens of thousands of dollars wouldn't you find it a little absurd? Trying to draw a smokescreen over the issue by claiming I am 'trashing the breed' is silly. I haven't said a word against the horses themselves. They just don't warrant the price tag, and of course a breeder isn't going to want people to hear that.

A product is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it in any given market area.

Galah (Roseate) Cockatoos are considered a pest in Australia and are exterminated.

Here in the states they are bred and sold as pet parrots for hundreds of dollars.

The fact that they aren't revered in Australia doesn't make them less "valuable" here in the states..

the fact that these horses came from "wherever" .. doing or not doing "whatever" doesn't make me like them or value them less.

They MOVE me .. period.

_________

Time for more pictures:

7heave21.jpg

iconfencetree.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, the original post in this thread begins "I am currently in no position to get one but would like to someday. I can't find a whole lot of info on these guys and would like some input. I think they are absolutely beautiful and think one would be a great addition to a farm as a work/riding horse. I was thinking they are not as fragile as other breeds because they are heavier boned. Or if someone has an opinion on a equally magnificent looking breed that would be a great work/ riding horse." (I have added the underlining, so you can see exactly what I am "pointing at")

That is mostly what has been offered. Info on Vanners, some input on the subject of deciding whether to get one, and opinions on equally magnificent looking horses that are are comparable for work or riding.

How is "their build is sometimes not athletically outstanding, especially for riding, and you can get the same darn thing for a LOT cheaper if you don't require the brand-name cachet" off-topic???

Regarding sulfur: I do not know how common it is in Vanners but in very heavily feathered other draft breeds such as Shires, there are some serious and really fairly intractable skin conditions that can attack the fetlocks and pasterns (unless the feathers are kept shaved off), and sulfur is often applied regularly as an attempt at prevention or at heading off mild cases before they get really problematic.

Pat

Here is another photo - found when I was looking for stallions to breed my Drum horse to - not going to breed now, and this one was too short for me anyway - but oh what a color! This is Silver Dapple, sometimes called Chocolate Dapple. Owned by the widow of John Huston, the director:
St. Clarins:
30736_stclarins.jpg
[/img]

Quote:
It wasn't, did someone say it was?

Yes of course, repeatedly, that's why I *posted* that
tongue.png
Why assume I must be speaking about *your* posts specifically?
tongue.png

For instance "It's kinda like someone coming on the chicken board and declaring what is wrong with chickens and why they would never own one.. kinda makes you go ... "why?""

Because the original post asks for it, is why.

This is just silly.

(Also, FWIW, I don't think the calendar-photo-fest of Big Hairy-footed Horses Of The World is at all off topic, and they are certainly fun to look at
smile.png
)

Pat

Back
Top Bottom