Hack my run: advice please!

violamama

Chirping
Feb 6, 2016
NW Oregon

I am preparing to build our first run for our 14 pet chickens. They're generally a mix of big egg laying breeds. Their coop is the 10 x 10 shed in the right half of this picture. We plan to add an automatic door to the wall you see facing downhill toward the swing set.

I hope to have the run look "nice" because it's visible from our living room. I was thinking 4x4 posts with top and bottom sideways 2x4 rails. We've read here that hardware cloth is the way to go so that's our plan, and burying a skirt of it.

The space cleared here (still has piles of blackberry canes in it that we'll burn up) is about 15 x 25.

-Will it get stinky without a solid roof? (We live in NW Oregon so there are times of year where it rains every day for weeks.)

-Will I need to add a lot of litter outside?

-If I divide it in half lengthwise, and only let the ladies in one half per week (fence them out), will any vegetation survive? And would that help with any smell?

-What features of a run make it look nicest? Besides the pretty birds, of course.

Last edited:
I am preparing to build our first run for our 14 pet chickens. They're generally a mix of big egg laying breeds. Their coop is the 10 x 10 shed in the right half of this picture. We plan to add an automatic door to the wall you see facing downhill toward the swing set.

I hope to have the run look "nice" because it's visible from our living room. I was thinking 4x4 posts with top and bottom sideways 2x4 rails. We've read here that hardware cloth is the way to go so that's our plan, and burying a skirt of it.

The space cleared here (still has piles of blackberry canes in it that we'll burn up) is about 15 x 25.

-Will it get stinky without a solid roof?

-Will I need to add a lot of litter outside?

-If I divide it in half lengthwise, and only let the ladies in one half per week (fence them out), will any vegetation survive? And would that help with any smell?

-what features of a run make it look nicest? Besides the pretty birds, of course.
Outside uncovered runs do not smell like inside/covered ones because the rain washes a lot into the dirt----as long as your soil drains. I use 10 x 10 x6 ft tall dog kennels I pick up used---I feel they look good, for sure stronger than hardware cloth and if you can find some used ones----you can use them 10 to 15 years and get all your money back out of them----that's free. I have found a lot of used ones. Only takes minutes to put up one, minutes to add another one. Nothing is better in my opinion.

That does look nice and tidy. Thanks for the idea- I'll look around and see what's in our area. We had thought about a vinyl coated chain link run...

Back
Top Bottom