Had 4 chicks hatch on day 19, now day 21 w/ no more pips...

Good news! I was able to very gently remove the baby from the shell. It was indeed stuck to the shell, but not the shrink-wrapped effect I was expecting. I rinsed it very gently in warm water and sat with it under the heat lamp for a good 45 mins. It's now walking on it's own, and seems to get better with every hour. I have 1 pip in the bator still, the other 7 eggs show no sign of movement.

It's my first hatch so lesson learned, but I think next time I'll aim for 70%+ humidity vs. 65%. When I checked the humidity min/max it had gone down to 60% at one point... Will definitely keep it 70+ next time.

Great Job! I lost 2 Lav Silkie chicks this week because I did not help. I heard strong peeping so let them go over night. Next day they were dead. All yolk absorbed but could not get out. This morning I heard the same loud peeping so I got the heads out and let the chicks do the rest. I have 4 healthy chicks. Everyone has different opinions on helping but I MUST help the call ducklings so I do what works for me. Glad you had a successful hatch!

Quote:
That's great! Congrats!

I've had sticky chicks in prior hatches, but my latest hatch my humidity started at 65%. As chicks hatched it fluctuated between 50% at it's low and 80% at the high. (I grabbed the chicks out at the high) Other than the chick that pipped the wrong end and died (I hatch in cartons so I didn't know it pipped and tried to zip), I didn't have any not able to get out on their own.

Back
Top Bottom