Had a chick hatch with a red bulb at his rear

HR Patterson

Songster
11 Years
Feb 10, 2008
Gravity, PA
thought it would be absorbed. Went down to check on him a little bit later and see it has broken open and there is a yellowish-brown liquid in the bottom of the incubator. What happened? Is he going to make it?

Also, I can't seem to get my humidity down. It's been in the 70s, percentage-wise. The kids were all excited with the chick and another has pipped, but I'm wondering if any of them will make it.

You can place a tiny piece of Saran Wrap over the spot to keep it from getting worse (hopefully). Also what type of incubator are you using. If it is a table top incubator you can place aluminum foil over the water pan to cut the humidity assuming there is water in there, Or open the vent plugs of you have not already done so

We've opened both air plugs. I can't do anything else without removing the lid. Will that kill the others? I should put saran wrap on the chick?

It is a tabletop, styrofoam, still air incubator.

Last edited:
Yes put a small piece of saran wrap over the rough naval. That will mean opening the incubator. You will have to weigh your pros and cons on opening it. Lose more chicks to a rough naval (caused by too high humidity) or try your chances at helping the chick live and possibly saving more. It may be too late, The high humidity will cause them to hatch with rough navals. Humidty is VERY important to hatching eggs.

Alright, I tried to put saran wrap on the chick; I don't know how good of a job I did, but it stuck to his bottom. I also absorbed some of the water out of the incubator while I had it open; didn't seem like that much in it. The humidity has been high all day; now it's in the mid-60s. Going to watch to see if it climbs again. Do I dare keep opening it? My husband keeps telling me not to touch it but I don't want to lose the whole hatch.

Is it too late? Today was day 19; we just took the turner out last night and we had a chick already today.

The humidity's climbing again. It's supposed to be around 60%, right?

Do you have an LG (Little Giant)? If you do the windows on top do open and you can open one or both a little to bring down the humidity with out the temp going down to much. I had to do that with my last hatch. Just make sure you check it every 15-30 min to make sure it does not drop too much.
Good luck!

If they are hatching early, they could be having rough navals also due to the temp being too high during incubation. BUT some do hatch a little early, especially if they are smaller eggs, or were near the heating element in the middle of the bator. The humidity comes from the surface area of the water, not the depth, that's why I said cover half the water pan with foil.

Back
Top Bottom