Had a close call tonight (2 Red Tailed Hawks)

MacTech

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
My Coop
My Coop
Almost lost at least one pullet tonight, had I not been with them and had a special noise making tool with me...

They buzzed the coop repeatedly at just over the height of the barn roof, utterly fearless, I could nearly count their tail feathers

I quickly herded in the three straggler pullets*** who, a few minutes earlier had decided to try free ranging, that ended quickly...

After I got them in, and the Hawks were still circling, despite my liberal and elaborate use of profanity, I decided to truly try to scare the crap out of them, I stepped out in the open, with my "noisemaker", a Ruger 10/22 with the 25 round BX-25 mag, and proceeded to fire off five rapid shots *into the ground about 5 feet in front of me*

I know it's illegal to shoot them, and they are a majestic predator, I just wanted to scare the fecal matter out of them, and 5 rapid shots seems to have done just that

Now, whenever I go out and sit with the pullets, I'll be sure to have either my 10/22 or my H&R single shot 20 gauge with me (birdshot in the 20G shot into the ground should work even better, the 20's even louder than the .22)

*** of course, while I was doing this, Tribble, my silkie/Cochin mix rooster started beating up on my Easter Egger, Chiana, because she *dared* to perch next to him, for a few moments, I was tempted to throw Tribble to the hawks....

But no, he was being a jerk, so I just tossed him "in the box", the dog crate in the barn that the pullets no longer use, he'll stay in the box for a few days, then be released on parole, if he doesn't improve his attitude, who knows, I may leave him to the tender mercies of the Hawks

The only drawback there, is it'd reinforce the "food is here" mindset of these Hawks, I figure if I harass them enough, they'll go away and bother someone else

Glad you saved your birds! Keep them in their covered run and coop for at least ten days, until the hawks decide to hunt elsewhere. It is also illegal to harass raptors, as in what you were doing. Mary

Back
Top Bottom