1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Had an egg like this? Egg laying after a day struggling with Slow Crop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kurui, Mar 29, 2015.

1. kurui

kurui Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

My girl Cordelia seems to have slow crop... she laid this egg (bottom right of her last six, marked in red) with red speckles on the fatter end today at around 6pm... I'm going round in circles- was her digestion blocked by this egg? I don't know if slow crop is a symptom of being egg bound, or if having a slow crop causes egg binding, or if they're unrelated...

I'm worried because the last time I had an egg with speckles a little like this (Henrietta's egg in the picture, marked in blue), the hen who laid it died a few days later. Admittedly Henrietta's egg was covered in the speckles all over and they were significantly raised from the surface, whereas Cordelia's offering only has the speckles on the end and they're not very proud of the shell, but seeing the same kind of thing...

Has anyone else ever had an egg like these, or have experience with eggbinding and/or slow crop? Cordelia seems a lot better since laying, but I really don't know enough about chickens :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by