Had broody Hen

Bcoz18

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Saint Charles Missouri
Over a month ago I had a broody hen. Got her to stop within maybe 5 days.. she hasn’t laid an egg since. It’s been just say 30 days since she’s laid one. I have 3 Hens in total and the other 2 laying no problem but that one just stopped once she had that broody moment no more eggs from her is there something I can do. They all three get oyster shells and egg shells. They get layer pellets . They free range. I haven’t found any eggs other then in the nesting boxes from the other two. They all are 6-7 months old

I don't think there's anything you can do to hasten her resumption of laying. Apart from the broody hormones having to wear off, if you are in the northern hemisphere you are now dealing with shorter days. She probably won't molt again this year given her age, so that's something! You just have to be patient :)

They free range. I haven’t found any eggs other then in the nesting boxes from the other two. They all are 6-7 months old
How did you break her broodiness?
Does she look like she's laying?
Maybe an exam is on order:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Might want confine them all for a week...to make sure she's not laying out in range area.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom