had chickens as a kid; might get back into it

Hello
:frow

Welcome to BYC!! I’m glad you joined us!

(warning for animal mistreatment and possible abuse)

we saw two chickens on the side of the road, and when we found the owner, she had no nest boxes, no coop, no grass (just dirt), and an open driveway gate. she didn't even know whether her chooks were hens or roosters, despite them seeming to be of laying or just about laying age. we saw no water or feeder either. she said "they just don't want to come home." and i was like, well duh, in my head. i asked if we could take them home, and the reply was an apathetic i don't care sort of reply. i'm thinking very intensely about my next steps. i may just go buy myself a coop and go back and ask her seriously if we can take em.
due to this, we think we're going to buy a coop on offerup or something asap and get em home to a safe place. because no chicken-- or animal in general-- deserves that. we'd build one, but don't have the time for that, these chickens need help asap. gonna go back to her place today and this time seriously offer to take the chickens for her-- if she says yes, we'll take em, if she says no, we call animal welfare and say we'll take em.

edit: we can't have rooster in my city, so i was wondering how to give away a rooster if any of them end up being one. i'd be willing to do craigslist or even here on byc, if anyone is in the los angeles county area!!!! i think there's one who is a rooster an one or two that are hens, but there's always a possibility that all 3 will be male. i don't mind if they go to slaughter, but i'd want someone who can do it humanely, and who will actually have a purpose for them, whether thats breeding or meat, instead of just being euthanized.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom