Had to cull my crippled chick- Vinegar and Baking Soda Method

Thanks for all the great responses guys- I really didn't want to cull this chick but felt like it was the best thing for it and us too. If I thought I could have fixed his problem , I would have . But I think his problem is something that could not be fixed. Thanks Everybody!!

Holy crap - that is so sad! But what a nice way to do it. I am glad to know this method since we'll be taking in our first baby chicks soon and I just know I couldn't do anything "drastic" if one was suffering, but I would want to end the suffering. Thanks for the post.
hugs.gif

Quote:
ur so welcome!! I know a lot of people have a hard time when it comes to something like this. I could have done it the other way , but my mom and kids couldn't stand the thought of me cutting off it's little head or breaking its neck. I will probably use this method again if I need to. I was very happy with the results because I wanted the little thing to suffer as little as possible.

Thanks for documenting your experience with the Co2 method. There are several sites on the net that describe how to do it for small animals and it does seem one of the least stressful for both the chick and its owner. Sorry you had to let it go, but you did the right thing.

I would like to know more specifics, in case I ever have to do this.

Could someone give a quantity on the amount of soda and vinegar needed, please? It would also help to know about the ice cream container -- gallon? Quart? What?

Not that I need to use it, but I wanted to thank you for posting that. Not only have you helped save pain and suffering to the chick but you probably helped save a lot of pain to several owners who need a painless method. Thank you and Cudos to you.

kelly

Back
Top Bottom