Had to cull my first rooster

Kungfoomanda

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2019
I knew it would happen eventually just kinda hoped it wouldn't.

He was very aggressive towards other chickens. Not humans...just chickens. We have three stages in out coop. We have a brooder, a juvenile pen and an adult pen. The juvenile pen is attached to the adult pen so the adults would get used to the juveniles so they could see and get used to each other. That way when we move them, there are less problems. It's always worked....until a couple of days. He started puffing up and pacing the fence and trying to attack them through the fence.

I gave it a couple of days to see if the behavior continued. Yesterday was the day we moved our juveniles in and as soon as i put the first one in, he attacked. And kept attacking. This isn't a hobby flock. These are show stock that we've invested a big chunk of money in. I knew it was time.

I didn't have a kill cone or anything but I wanted it to be quick. Even though he was mean, I didn't want him to suffer. I pinned him on the ground and shot him once in the head. It was quick and he didn't suffer.

At the time, I didn't feel terrible because I knew it had to be done. But last time, it really hit me. I started questioning if it was the right thing to do. I just feel terrible now.

I guess I'm here looking for support. Would you have done it too? Was it the right thing to do?

I've not personally had to cull a rooster however I've had to deal with several chickens who were having to be put down due to medical reasons.
While it might feel bad, I personally think you did the best thing. It's entirely possible your rooster could've severely injured or killed your juvenile chickens.

I didn't have a kill cone or anything but I wanted it to be quick. Even though he was mean, I didn't want him to suffer. I pinned him on the ground and shot him once in the head. It was quick and he didn't suffer.

I never thought of doing it that way--good solution!

I agree, it did need doing. Good job for recognizing what needed to be done, and for doing it before he caused bigger problems for your other chickens :thumbsup

It's a tough decision.
Only you'd know best if he fits into your breeding/showing goals.
How old was he?
I've had to euthanize several ill birds, used broomstick CD.
Have slaughtered several dozen 'extra' cockerels and older hens for the freezer.

The first one was by far the hardest.

Last edited:
That is called good animal husbandry. Animal husbandry does not value the individual, it values the flock. Animal husbandry takes good care of the individual as each is a contributor to the flock. This bird was destroying the flock in the set up you have. That individual was not going to work in that set up. The other birds do not need to be punished because of this bird.

I am pretty sure, that today, when you go down, you will notice less tension in the flock. I think that bird was probably adding tension to your layers that you were not aware of until it is gone. However, from here on, you will recognize tension in the flock.

Always solve problems for peace in the flock. Wishing they will all get along does not work.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom