Had to get rid of my rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by confusedturtle, Oct 6, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I didnt want to do it, but I finally had to rehome my rooster. He was such a good rooster and a gorgeous bird. He started crowing about 2 weeks ago and got to where he was doing it more often, earlier and louder. I was afraid I'd get in trouble so I rehomed him rather than losing the whole flock. He is at a great place. The lady has a big area of land set aside for her beloved chickens, fenced in and safe from predators. She was in love when she saw him and cant wait to find him a few mates [​IMG] Since rehoming him my flock has mellowed out so much, its sad but good. They aren't as flighty when they are out and about. Also my coop is so much easier to clean! My girls dont eat nearly as much as the rooster did, I used to fill their bowl twice a day, now its just once. There is way less poop in there so cleaning is so much nicer and they dont spread the littler (I use pine shavings) as badly as he did. I will miss him very much, but I really like how my flock runs now.
    My rooster with some of his ladies
    [​IMG]
    Another rooster pic
    [​IMG]
    All of my birds ranging
    [​IMG]
    I took these the day I rehomed my rooster, Lovey. So if the coop is not that clean its because I did it after I got home, had to take him first thing in the morning

**sorry I dont know why they came out smaller or how to turn them? I will keep trying [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It's good you found a nice home for him [​IMG]

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I'll have to agree, good for you!

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Awwh -[​IMG] I will know how you feel next Friday - I have to give up 3 of my 4 roosters. Thankfully they'll go to a nice guy who has lots of room for them and they will be well taken care of on his property. I just know I will miss seeing them. We plan to keep one of the roos so it may be interesting to see how our flock is once the other 3 roos are gone. [​IMG] Glad your flock has adjusted well and I'm all for less clean up![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by