Had to take my hen to the vet today, still don't know what's wrong with her.

I'm sure it works just fine, but from what I can see looking at the bottle on the website, it does NOT say what the active ingredient is, nor does it list the mg of that active ingredient, so how would one dose a small bird accurately? And by small, I mean 100-300 grams. And yes, I've had to dose birds that small, some smaller.

People protect their recipes. If they don't there are all kinds of knock-offs which could potentially cause trouble. The majority content I believe is Albendazole, but I'm sure there is some Praziquantel in it too. I've used it for years with no ill side affects. Dosing bird directions are on the product. Like I said, there is a wide safety margin on it. People have overdosed birds on it with no health problems put upon the bird. If you are dosing something like a Black-headed Caique, I suggest you buy from All Bird Products which markets wormers to the exotic bird owner. Wormazole is a poultry wormer.

Michael Apple, If Wormazole is actually albendazole (Valbazen), why would one buy it? Per ounce, it's way more expensive than Valbazen. One ounce of Wormazole for $17 versus 16.9 ounces (500ml) of Valbazen for $49.95 ($41.75 at Valley Vet).

Because one can buy a small quantity of 1 oz (120 birds) for $18 versus buying a $50 bottle of Valbazen where some of the product might expire and be wasted. Personal choice really.

Last edited:
People protect their recipes. If they don't there are all kinds of knock-offs which could potentially cause trouble. The majority content I believe is Albendazole, but I'm sure there is some Praziquantel in it too.
According to the label, it's a benzimidazole, which means it could be it could be mebendazole, flubendazole, fenbendazole, oxfendazole, oxibendazole, albendazole, albendazole sulfoxide, thiabendazole, thiophanate, febantel, netobimin or triclabendazole.

If it is albendazole, why would they put praziquantel in?

I've used it for years with no ill side affects. Dosing bird directions are on the product. Like I said, there is a wide safety margin on it. People have overdosed birds on it with no health problems put upon the bird. If you are dosing something like a Black-headed Caique, I suggest you buy from All Bird Products which markets wormers to the exotic bird owner.
This is why I use Safeguard, which is how this whole thing started. The "birds" I dose are all ages of chickens, guineas, peafowl, ducks, and turkeys. With Safeguard (10% fenbendazole), I can accurately dose very small birds

If you had to treat a 100 gram turkey poult, chicken or peachick for the cecal worm, how would you do it with your wormer?

Wormazole is a poultry wormer.
The only FDA approved poultry wormer is piperazine (Wazine), other drugs are supposed to be used under a veterinarians supervision. I'm not sure if what they are doing with the wormer is legal, but I know for a fact that they are also selling a prescription only anitibiotic that is banned for use in food animals. That is not legal!

Because one can buy a small quantity of 1 oz (120 birds) for $18 versus buying a $50 bottle of Valbazen where some of the product might expire and be wasted. Personal choice really.
Fair enough, but does your bottle have a lot code and mfg. expiration date on it? What's to stop Woods from filling your bottle with two or more different bottles with different expiation dates?

This is the antibiotic I mentioned. It's a great antibiotic, and if you don't already have some, buy it. If the feds ever find this on their site, you'll have to look elsewhere for it. Just remember that it is on the FDA list of drugs banned for use in food animals.

Last edited:
dasHuhnchen,

Sorry about all of those, how is your hen?

She's doing well. No more diarrhea, and she's eating and drinking well. Preening her feathers and scratching around in the cage.
I've enjoyed having her in the house. I don't want to put her back out.
Will it shock her system to put her back with the others outside? I don't heat my coop, but it's well insulated.

Vet assistant called this morning. She's new and knows nothing. Hopefully the vet will call me back later.
Thanks for all the worm medication information. My brain is hurting, ahahhaa. I'd like to worm them with something that I don't have to toss their eggs. Is there even a product out there like that?
It appears that all my hens are thin, prominent breast bone. I need some advice on putting weight back on them. Their lay mash is 16% and free choice. Any suggestions on what I might add to that?

Fair enough, but does your bottle have a lot code and mfg. expiration date on it? What's to stop Woods from filling your bottle with two or more different bottles with different expiation dates?

You can always call them up yourself. You claimed interest in the product. You can decide to use it or not. Safeguard isn't approved for use in poultry, but you use that.
roll.png
What's to stop a vet from selling you a product just because they carry it and make a profit? Another subject. I hope DasHunchen's bird recovers. You can use what you choose.

She's doing well. No more diarrhea, and she's eating and drinking well. Preening her feathers and scratching around in the cage.
I've enjoyed having her in the house. I don't want to put her back out.
Will it shock her system to put her back with the others outside? I don't heat my coop, but it's well insulated.
I would keep her in at night until she puts on weight.

Vet assistant called this morning. She's new and knows nothing. Hopefully the vet will call me back later.
Thanks for all the worm medication information. My brain is hurting, ahahhaa. I'd like to worm them with something that I don't have to toss their eggs. Is there even a product out there like that?
Dawg53 would probably know best.

It appears that all my hens are thin, prominent breast bone. I need some advice on putting weight back on them. Their lay mash is 16% and free choice. Any suggestions on what I might add to that?
I would weigh them, worm them and add some high protein feed to what you already give them. I'd also offer them free-choice oyster shell.

You can always call them up yourself. You claimed interest in the product. You can decide to use it or not. Safeguard isn't approved for use in poultry, but you use that.
roll.png
What's to stop a vet from selling you a product just because they carry it and make a profit? Another subject. I hope DasHunchen's bird recovers. You can use what you choose.
  • It *is* legal as long as it's done under the supervision of a veterinarian, which I do. The same is true for Valbazen and Ivermectin.
    big_smile.png
  • It is *not* on the list of FDA banned drugs.
  • I buy my drugs like Safeguard from places like Valley Vet Supply - http://www.valleyvet.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom