Haitian chickens

GardenofEaten

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2015
Mango,Fl
In just 2 weeK's I will be headed to Haiti armed with all this great info on raising backyard chickens to teach families there in the poorest country of the world. The question looming in my head is this. What if a poor homeowner can't find chick feed like we have here. Is there a natural substitute they can feed their baby chicks?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm not sure what would be a good substitute for chick feed but do drop by the feeding and watering your flock section of the forum. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-amp-watering-your-flock
I'm more than sure other members will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck in Haiti and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Michael has given you a good link, sorry but I can't think of anything else. Maybe people coming on later today will have ideas for you.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

In the old days the farmers fed their chickens table scraps which included veggies, meats, egg shells, any grains left over from the other livestock, etc... Of course the chickens were not as healthy back then as they are now, however if these people are raising these birds for meat, longevity is not high on the list for their birds. If they kept up the cycle of eating the two year old birds, raising young each year, they could probably get by on this type of diet.

Good luck with this project and we do welcome you to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on the advice already given. Chickens do very well living off of things other than plain ole' chicken feed. Greens, veggies, fruits, breads, rice, dairy, etc can all be given in small amounts.

Back
Top Bottom