Half a shell-less egg

Wendyann78

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2020
I have an most 1 year old lady bird suddenly laying these eggs...don't know which one, and all seem healthy. Seems like half the egg has no shell, half does have a shell. All eating purina layer feed, minimal scraps. I throw a handful of scratch in for them all to share each morning, always have adequate water. What to do?
20201223_140424.jpg

JadeFarms

🙄🤚 Just because I’m nice doesn’t mean I like you 💙
Premium Feather Member
May 3, 2019
Florida
They could be breaking cause their hitting a hard surface. Do you have enough hay where they’re laying?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have an most 1 year old lady bird suddenly laying these eggs...don't know which one, and all seem healthy. Seems like half the egg has no shell, half does have a shell. All eating purina layer feed, minimal scraps. I throw a handful of scratch in for them all to share each morning, always have adequate water. What to do?
Almost 12 months?

Do you have some oyster shell out in a separate feeder??
I'd cut out all scraps for a couple weeks.
Might be she's not getting enough calcium.
Or she could just have a wonky shell gland as the egg is not getting equally shelled all around.

Wendyann78

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2020
I mix some oyster shell with their food. Maybe try it separately? I'll try this out. Thank you for your reply!

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Usually shell less eggs are a calcium deficiency. I believe the Purina bag says on the back that you should feed oyster shells with it. :)

You could also crush up eggshells and feed them back to her. I like to mix the crushed shells with something red (jam, red food coloring, overripe strawberries or raspberries, etc.) to disguise them so they don’t start eating their own eggs. :)

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I mix some oyster shell with their food. Maybe try it separately?
Should not be mixed into feed.
Put in a separate feeder ..and can add some crushed egg shell to the OS.
I just rinse, dry and crush egg shells in a DIY mortar/pestle.
No need to bake them but it can make them easier to crush and dry faster.

Top Bottom