half blind lone goose hatched a gosling, but mum wont leave the nest??

I agree with goosedragon, I would take the gosling and let her keep the eggs. You can always give the gosling(s) back to her once she is done hatching the other eggs.

well its dark out now so i'll leave them be for the night then take the little gosling in the morning. will it be ok in a brooder with chicks or should i try and make something for it to be alone in (with a stuffed toy or something)

update........
i got to candle the eggs last night and saw all but 2 were bad. but in the 2 with goslings (who had pipped internally) there was no movement, both had died before externally pipping, so i didnt put any back in the nest. this morning mum is out and about with her lone baby.....they look so sweet!

i thought id let her in the big field (theres not a lot of grass left in the coop) big mistake. the other geese came straight over and seemed to seperate her from baby and wouldnt let her near it. poor baby got confused and wondered off with another female goose who seem to try 'stealing' baby.

the ganders all rushed on 'mum' so i grabbed baby and led her back to the enclosure away from the others.

she was never a part of this flock so why the odd behaviour? did they want to steal...or even kill the baby???

Quote:
Maybe they knew that the baby was the offspring of their flock (The hatcher never had a mate) I am not claiming that they did, only that they might have. The fact is that the true mother was in that flock.

Back
Top Bottom