Half drowned duck

Gunhill32

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2019
Good morning, one of my pekins gave me a heart attack this morning. They have a small 6 inch deep pool in the run ( then they free range during the day) this morning I went to let them out, and I found our girl Dafney sprawled out in the pool, wings hanging over the edge, and head floating in the water. I pulled her out, wrapped her in a towel, and warmed her up a bit. She is responsive but obviously exhausted and shivering. I have her in a cage right now with electrolyte water, and food with a heat lamp warming her up. Her neck is like completely bald because I think the drake took advantage of the situation. Is their anything else I should be doing to help her? Any advice is welcome

Good morning, one of my pekins gave me a heart attack this morning. They have a small 6 inch deep pool in the run ( then they free range during the day) this morning I went to let them out, and I found our girl Dafney sprawled out in the pool, wings hanging over the edge, and head floating in the water. I pulled her out, wrapped her in a towel, and warmed her up a bit. She is responsive but obviously exhausted and shivering. I have her in a cage right now with electrolyte water, and food with a heat lamp warming her up. Her neck is like completely bald because I think the drake took advantage of the situation. Is their anything else I should be doing to help her? Any advice is welcome
Oh my! That drake, lol. @MGG @Miss Lydia @casportpony

Oh my poor girl is this just one drake?you've done the right thing by getting her inside away from him and helping her recover. I’d keep them separated but where they can see each other till she has grown back her feathers. Maybe consider for the rest of breeding season.

Oh my poor girl is this just one drake?you've done the right thing by getting her inside away from him and helping her recover. I’d keep them separated but where they can see each other till she has grown back her feathers. Maybe consider for the rest of breeding season.
It’s 5 girls and one drake. He’s super calm except when he mates. We have her separated in a cage with dry hay outside. So the other ducks can come visit her but not bother her

How is she doing? I had this exact thing happen once. I just put her under a heat lamp at about 80 degrees for a few hours, and once she started preening she perked right up. I have her some direct nutridrench too.

It’s 5 girls and one drake. He’s super calm except when he mates. We have her separated in a cage with dry hay outside. So the other ducks can come visit her but not bother her
Is she dry? She should be under a heat source.

How is she doing? I had this exact thing happen once. I just put her under a heat lamp at about 80 degrees for a few hours, and once she started preening she perked right up. I have her some direct nutridrench too.
I can’t tell how she’s doing, when she was drowning she developed like the worlds worst case of wet feather. The skin on her back between her wings is bubbled, she can’t walk whatsoever, and she keeps getting a weird layer of foam over her one eye. I keep cleaning her eye off and spraying the exposed skin with a poultry safe wound spray. I have her on electrolytes and Probiotics in her water. But she won’t eat whatsoever. I wish I could take her to the vet, but we just spent like $800 to treat another duck for a really bad infection a few days ago. Can’t really afford to go.

I can’t tell how she’s doing, when she was drowning she developed like the worlds worst case of wet feather. The skin on her back between her wings is bubbled, she can’t walk whatsoever, and she keeps getting a weird layer of foam over her one eye. I keep cleaning her eye off and spraying the exposed skin with a poultry safe wound spray. I have her on electrolytes and Probiotics in her water. But she won’t eat whatsoever. I wish I could take her to the vet, but we just spent like $800 to treat another duck for a really bad infection a few days ago. Can’t really afford to go.
Their coop and run are cleaned daily, they free range on a fenced in acre 10+ hours a day, and they have 3 pools that get refilled twice daily. Can’t for the life of me figure out how they keep getting sick

Back
Top Bottom