Half flock not laying. What is up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shannonwbl, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

We have six new chickens. Three have been laying for almost a month but the other three - nothing. Is this normal? I have been looking all over the place in case the other three are hiding eggs somewhere, but nothing. Here is the break down:

Layers:
    BR
    Ameruacana
    NH Red

Not laying:
    Blue Cochin
    BR
    gold laced wyandotte

All are 23 weeks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Are you sure they are not taking turns? Some birds take 6-8 months to lay too depending on lines and breed.

3. Shannonwbl

Almost possitive. I check on them frequently and catch the same ones. We get three eggs almost every day (one blue). I heard the cochins are late to mature, but I am confused as to why the BRs are not both laying. One is a bit more mature than the other (larger waddle etc) but not by much. I havent a clue about the wyandotte.

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Are they molting? Is it extremely hot or humid out? Do they all go in the house to lay?

5. Shannonwbl

It was hot, but has cooled off in the 80's. No one is molting, and the three that are laying all lay inside the coop nesting boxes. They all free range during the day with access to the coop. I watch them closely as I am working outside and I am fairly sure I know all their "spots" and I look everyday to see if they are hiding eggs. Could they be late bloomers or do you think they are sneaking off on me - I can't figure out when but I guess it is possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by