half grown Marans- Can you usually tell the gender by tis age?

GardeNerd

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
I found this ad on craigslist

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/1075045305.html

Marans Chickens - half grown - $12 (Desert Hot Springs)
It stated: "More than half way grown and could be laying in a couple of months. These are from my Black Copper Marans hens and Golden Cuckoo Marans Rooster pen.
$12./ea. They are very mellow chickens to have around, even the roos. "

So I emailed the lady asking if she had any pullets for sale from the group since I legally can't have any roosters.

She replied "I still have some chickens available, however I'm selling them straight run meaning I have no idea what sex they are yet.
I couldn't even tell with my Copper Blacks when they were 5 months, let alone 2.5 to 3 months"

Is it true; it is still not possible to tell gender at 2.5-3 months age with this breed/ breed cross?

It would be a 3 hour drive+ traffic, and I would hate go all the way out there to be duped into taking a rooster because that was all she really is letting people take and calling them "straight run." The price was really cheap incomparison to what see listed here at BYC in other parts of the country, therefore, I guess I am a little suspecious.

(sorry my spelling stinks.)

Last edited:
I have been having connection problems with the computer all morning. I apologize for the identical multiple posts. I didn't realize it did it until it was too late.

klf73---"I see a LOT of roos right up front if they are only 2.5-3 months. I have 5-6 month olds(pullets) that have no comb still and not red. Unfortunately many people do this to get rid of their extra roos, I have found they might throw a pullet or 2 to look like you can get some, but usually they are 90% cockerals.
If she breeds them, she can tell the gender.....IMO "

Thank you for the input, klf73. I kind of am thinking that too, but I am new to chickens. If anyone else had any input, I would appreciate it. I would hate to pass up a good deal, but don't want to get burned. Thank you.

I see some roo's up front in the bunch too. You can tell which ones are roos the combs are larger and red. I could tell on mine at a couple weeks old. So she may be saying that to get rid of some of her roos to people who don't know the difference.

That is not a very good picture however My black Coppers are NOT speckled as those appear to be. They are black with a copper neck and some copper on their backs witha green sheen to them . I would question her as to what lines and do they have feathered legs and ask if they are speckled or if she could e-mail you a closer and clearer picture. From the picture they lok more like a cuckoo marans

Quote:
they are the result of a golden cuckoo over bc hens
wink.png

Hey.... Wait a minute. I had five black copper marans hatch out last Feb. 27th. It looks to me like they all have a comb. Does that mean that they are all Roos?

th.gif

Litewings

OMGOSH-its the sisterhood of the Roos!! I feel so much better now..
except for the part about having to buy more Marans eggs and the part about giving up
the extra boys b/c they own my heart. Stupid cockerels.

Edited to say:GardeNerd keep away from the Roos, they only break your heart.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom