Half murry McMurry peeps dead 36 hours

MaspethMatt

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 13, 2011
I will never ever use murry McMurry again. I think the big peeps trampled the smaller ones. They never should have sent different sizes in same shipment. Arucana amd white lace Cornish. Cornish are the ones that all died. I ordered brahmas but was told " they didn't hatch"

Did they die in the box or brooder? Have you contacted them?

It's a shame. I've always had good experiences with that hatchery.

I have mostly heard good things about Mc Murry. I would contact them, if your haven't already, right away. My feed store is pretty fussy about the products they sell. They use Privett Hatchery in Az. Just sayin.

1 dead on arrival. all dead in 36 hours of arrival. Kids sad. Brooder big storage tote with heat lamp.

Well ˜˜~obviously "smuptin ain't right"... Just had a thought - I understand from your post that ALL the chickies died ? What kind of light bulb did you have in the heat lamp ? ANYTHING with TEFLON is deadly to chickens. i.e. bulbs that say "tuff service" ect.
Teflon is so deadly if you get a Teflon skillet very hot in a room with birds ~bye bye birdie. What type of waterer did you have for the birds ? Plastic ? Did you maybe wash it with bleach before using it ? I hate to say this but I don't think this is Mc Murrys fault. There is / was something in the living area / conditions / litter / water / containers / SOMETHING in their current environment killed them. (in my dumb unprofessional opinion) I am not trying to be mean spirited. I am very sorry for your loss and especially the hurt and sadness for the children. But take a real hard look at EVERYTHING involved with the babies. You mentioned a large plastic tote. Plastic can emit deadly gasses when subjected to heat or cold. (i.e. NEVER freeze water in plastic bottles or drink from them if they have been in extreme heat, (left in a car, laying in the sun) etc. I hope this gives you some 'food for thought' and helps prevent any more incidents like this. Best wishes, take a deep breath and start over.

1 dead on arrival. all dead in 36 hours of arrival. Kids sad. Brooder big storage tote with heat lamp.
I would suspect they got very chilled somehow in shipping. How long were they in route? Some postal people don't understand to call or get them home ASAP. My local TSC has problems with their chick delivery--one postman drives them around in his truck all day if they arrive on his days working. MM hatchery is pretty reputable, so I'm sure they will replace your chicks. Sorry for your loss.

MMM has been shipping chicks so long; I doubt they would send the two breeds together if they thought there was a possibility of the larger ones trampling the smaller ones. I'm sure they've shipped those breeds together before without issues. They probably got chilled during transport. That is always a risk when having chicks shipped and isn't the hatchery's fault.

I've used MMM 2x now with great results. I recently ordered 20 chicks and didn't lose any. I lost one in my shipment last year which MMM quickly refunded me for. I will order from them again.

Back
Top Bottom