Half my flock killed, looking for help with one duck with a wing/leg issue

Sistersquirrel

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
Kansas
We had an unknown animal (I assuming a dog) attack and kill half our duck flock.
hit.gif

Two Roens seem to be good (with some feather damage and some really minor discomfort)

My Splash Swede (Spot) does not appear able to keep her right wing up in the normal position. She can wiggle it and stretch it a little on her own but can't hold it up. She also limps pretty bad on her right leg. No blood or wounds are present. My fiance was able to hold her yesterday (one day after the incident) and was examining her. He was able to hold the wing up and stretch it out with out any obvious issues.

I am assuming her leg will get better (I hope) but there is concern about the wing.

Does anyone know of anything we can do to help her???

First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your misfortune! I too have lost part of my original flock to a dog attack and its so devastating, I feel your pain.

We had puncture wounds more so than breakages so I only have experience with first aid for gashes and holes and such, I also have a great vet who spot checked my Mallard over to ensure no broken bones or serious damage.

What I would suggest to you if you dont have access to a vet who will see ducks (not all do) is to provide some electrolytes in their water for the next week or so to assist with the stress response and watch them carefully to make sure everyone is eating/drinking/pooping/moving okay. It's normal to see some soreness and stiffness but it would be better to have them out and stretching in the normal fashion as opposed to bringing them in and confining them.

The one with the wing issue, perhaps you can do a search for wing splinting on Google or even BYC forum threads to see if others have done it and can provide assistance.

Good luck, sorry this wasn't the most helpful.

So sad to read this.

How about a warm bath, and just watch very closely. Yes to the electrolytes, to vitamins, to anything to boost their systems.

Make sure no one has an open wound . . . I have very recent experience with a wound and maggots. Very bad stuff.

Give the wing another day, see if it may just be a muscle pull that simply needs rest.

If not, you might consider wrapping the duck's body with vet wrap. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

You could also try an Epsom salts compress wrap, making sure she doesn't ingest any, since it is a laxative. I used a shallow bowl and a clean rag with warm water and a tablespoon of Es and had someone hold the duck while I held the compress around her foot. Even a few minutes may make a difference.

Thanks to you all!!!

It was certainly hard to deal with and seeing my fiance cry yesterday morning didn't help. (Pretty sad to see a 6'3 300 pound lumberjack so depressed about his ducks :(

I will let him know what you all have suggested and I will let you know how it goes. I think my ducks being so sad is almost the worst part.

Thanks to you all!!!

It was certainly hard to deal with and seeing my fiance cry yesterday morning didn't help. (Pretty sad to see a 6'3 300 pound lumberjack so depressed about his ducks :(

I will let him know what you all have suggested and I will let you know how it goes. I think my ducks being so sad is almost the worst part.
hugs.gif

Talked with my old Parakeet vet (she works with all types of birds) and she was very reassuring. She suggested the same thing all of you did!! You sure know your duck stuff!!

Spot is getting better!! She can spread her wing all the way out and was actually running yesterday morning (although not as gracefull as before) :)

Her and the Roens seem to be a lot better emotionally too!! I am so happy for the quick improvements!!

Talked with my old Parakeet vet (she works with all types of birds) and she was very reassuring. She suggested the same thing all of you did!! You sure know your duck stuff!!

Spot is getting better!! She can spread her wing all the way out and was actually running yesterday morning (although not as gracefull as before) :)

Her and the Roens seem to be a lot better emotionally too!! I am so happy for the quick improvements!!
Happy to hear good news. keep up the TLC..
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom