Half Sider Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Redcatcher, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I decided to start a new topic on the subject of half siders because I believe what I have is a half sider and not a gynandromorph. Now that it has matured, it looks and acts like a hen and has begun laying eggs. I have been researching and the only information I could find on fertile half sider birds are of parakeets or parrots that have a defect in the yellow green alleles. Is it possible that my chimera could be from two female embryos fused together rather than a male and female (which would create a gynandromorph)? I have a feeling that these same sex half siders are much more difficult to spot than gynandromorphs in birds because they are usually all one color.

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I never seen or heard of anything like tht. How very interesting. Would love to see and hear more about this. Do you know the parents??

3. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Wow

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would share a pic of my half-sider hen. Parents were a Golden Neck d'Uccle and a Brown Red Modern cock.
    [​IMG]

5. freepebs2016

freepebs2016 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Interesting looking birds! Do they lay eggs well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by