HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally & BantyChooks

@Sally Sunshine

images

Mornin Liz!

As of last night she was doing fine. Can't see a thing out there right now.

Have the cougar back, there was a sighting a couple days ago. So everyone is on the lookout. She or he has not been seen for a couple years. Could be a complete new one. I was wondering why the deer were not freely walking around lately.

Have you ever had the cougar decide to turn your birds into a midnight snack?

We have one that evidently comes through our yard EVERY spring and fall. Sometimes with her cubs. We bought this place last year and didn't know until I let my daughter play near the tall grass in the field. My neighbor came screaming out "I SAW A COUGAR IN YOUR YARD YESTERDAY!!! GET HER AWAY FROM THE GRASS" We've found tracks and scat in our yard and heard her scream a few times REALLY close to the house, but we've never seen her ourselves.

I'm trying to build up a flock, but it's my first time in this location. I don't know how determined hungry cougars get with chickens, or what I can do to deter them. I don't plan on letting my chickens free range. WAY to many hawks, eagles, raccoon, bear, neighbor dogs, and of course cougars.
th.gif

I want to have a very secure run and coop for them at night and when we are out of town, along with enclosed garden space we can let them into so they can semi free range. We already had to fence the veggi garden for very aggressive deer, so covering the top with netting shouldn't be hard.

Have you ever had the cougar decide to turn your birds into a midnight snack?

We have one that evidently comes through our yard EVERY spring and fall. Sometimes with her cubs. We bought this place last year and didn't know until I let my daughter play near the tall grass in the field. My neighbor came screaming out "I SAW A COUGAR IN YOUR YARD YESTERDAY!!! GET HER AWAY FROM THE GRASS" We've found tracks and scat in our yard and heard her scream a few times REALLY close to the house, but we've never seen her ourselves.

I'm trying to build up a flock, but it's my first time in this location. I don't know how determined hungry cougars get with chickens, or what I can do to deter them. I don't plan on letting my chickens free range. WAY to many hawks, eagles, raccoon, bear, neighbor dogs, and of course cougars.
th.gif

I want to have a very secure run and coop for them at night and when we are out of town, along with enclosed garden space we can let them into so they can semi free range. We already had to fence the veggi garden for very aggressive deer, so covering the top with netting shouldn't be hard.
Mountain lions aren't much of an issue. Coyotes and raccoons are the worst ones to deal with in terms of chicken predation. However, bears will happily tear down a coop or run to get to feed. Hawks are more likely to try to take a chicken than an eagle. A healthy, territorial flock of crows near your property will greatly reduce aerial predation.

Back
Top Bottom