Halloween Hatch

just luck i guess? i had one hatch the day before,and he was running around playing soccer with the other eggs. So i opened the bator to take him out(after 18 hours). After 24 hour i saw that 2 eggs were half way unziped,(but dried) so i got a bowl of warm water and wet my fingers to open the top half,and heard a cheep, i then put them back in the incubator to push out the rest of the way. The other 2 eggs had just a hole in side and they were alive but did,nt survive. i got three chick out of 6 eggs. i have 25 in at the moment and are definitly mnot going to open this time. whats the best way to stop first hatched chicks from kicking around the eggs?

I have no idea, I wished mine were walking well. I ended up with three so far, two of which are not walking very well. The other one is all sticky but actually moves around pretty good. Those other two are dealing with curled feet. Only one is actively eating and drinking without my help. I am not very confident about their outcome, but will give it a shot. I will be making some changes the next go round. I will have another incubator, a way to measure the humidity and will try eggs other than my own and see if things go any better. I still have some in the incubator and will leave them there for another day or so, but I am not expecting much and would almost rather them not hatch if they will have the problems the other ones are having. Congrats on you soccer player!

I have just set 12 eggs in my new brinsea.
Temps at 99.5 and humidity 45 so hopefully it works out!
Make sure to crank that humidi extra high before hatching to soften up the shells!
That may be your problems.

I do think my inability to read and control my humidity consistently may have been part of the problem. I also read somewhere (can't remember where) that inbreeding could be part of my problem too, but I am sure that is commonly practiced, so I am not sure about that theory. One of my little ones was dead when I checked on them late last night and I went ahead and had my step-son cull the sticky one, he seemed to be going downhill fast. The other one is getting around well now and is eating very well. I am mixing a little boiled egg yolk,game bird starter and save a chick powder mixed with water for him; he gobbles it right up. I really hope he makes it and have the feeling that if he does he will become an inside pet with a bird cage of his own. He is a real cutie!

Still no progress on the eggs in the incubator.

The last few days.A bowl of water in the box would help or one or two wet sponges.nothing fancy.
I dont help the chicks out of the eggs.My wife did and the chick she saved wasnt ment to live,it had problems.Plus unless its the last egg you would be better off to leave your bator closed.

Well I went ahead and checked all of my eggs that did not hatch. All of the eggs except 3 had chicks that had made it past the 10 day mark and several of those were fully developed with almost all of the yolk absorbed. We talked to the guy that the incubator came from and he told us that the problem may have been that the eggs were not setting up right. He had suggested that we use a quail carton to position them in and tilt them back and forth leaving the small end pointing down and the larger pointing up. He also reiterated what kapie9969 said.... don't open the incubator and to let them hatch on their own, which is so hard when you see one struggling. I think I may go ahead and give it a shot again even though that was not the plan with this incubator. I will use the egg carton, find a way to measure my humidity and leave them alone when they go into lock down (the hardest part for me). On a good note, my lil one that survived is doing well, he is having no problems getting around now.

Well dont feel bad.My quail and chicken eggs didnt show anything when candling.But i couldnt see that good so i left them in anyways.18nth day and knothing from the quail.Maybe the six day shipping was the reason,ill see if the seller well make it right.The chicken eggs are still going but i have my doubts since i saw knothing when candling but they are kinda dark brown eggs.And fertilized eggs from a store.

Good luck! I hope you get at least one baby. I am really enjoying our lil one. I brought him/her in the bedroom with me this morning; my husband laughed at me and said "I guess we won't be eating that one." I told him to go ahead and start thinking about a cage that he won't mind having in the house!
smile.png

Good luck! I hope you get at least one baby. I am really enjoying our lil one. I brought him/her in the bedroom with me this morning; my husband laughed at me and said "I guess we won't be eating that one." I told him to go ahead and start thinking about a cage that he won't mind having in the house!
smile.png

That's so cute. I Only had two eggs in incubation. One of those two hatched and the other pipped the shell and never made it out. The one that made it is adorable.

What did you name it?

Last edited:
We are calling him "lil man" even though we are not sure if he is a boy or not! He is so funny; he loves empty toilet paper rolls. He darts in and out of them. Since he is by himself he has plenty of room in the brooder for things to climb on and hide in. Post some pics of your single baby!!

Back
Top Bottom