Hamburg thread!

Pics
Quote:
The rest of his markings, and I *think* his body shape and carriage, and his head and comb, are pretty correct, so the smutty tail is a drag- all three of the hens have very cleanly marked tails, so at least I wasn't looking to improve that characteristic.

This kind of improvement is really fun to see
Mother:
71540_hamburg_hen.jpg

Daughter:
71540_hamburg_pullet_033.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you! I don't really know how old she is, with only three hens this year I basically hatched all summer and didn't keep track of the dates. Ill guess around eighteen weeks.

Quote:
Lovely indeed; the daughter looks very like the youngest of my three hens in her markings and carriage.

I moved Elvis in with his ladies today; I've not finished the extension to the run, but the hens have finished their moult and begun to lay again, and he was too long for his tower and kept bashing his tail, so it was time. When the extension is finished there will be an Australorp with a history of broodiness to go in this breeding group: easy to take out any brown eggs and leave the white ones to set!

P1020567.jpg

(And of course a month of dry cold weather with light winds from the NE has rearranged all my waterproofing so now that the weather is back to wet normal I have to go patch places where the rain drains in. Oh, well).

Oh Goody ! Stumpfarmer Your flock is so good looking and I think that your are lucky that your hens are laying again. Even down here in the southern atmosphere my girls are tardy. Only the hens who finally started late in autumn are continuing to lay plus my one EE. I can wait until all the girls realize that they daylight hours are increasing. This is a slow progress, maybe three minutes a day.

So you are very fortunate.

I am enjoying everybody's beautiful birds on this thread. I am thinking of adding Hamburgs to my very small flock. I am getting the impression that they are one of the longest laying birds. Is this true or does anybody have any stories? I am looking at the Blue Hamburgs from Meyer. They are described as a little bit bigger and perhaps less flighty. All of them seem very wonderful. Thanks in advance for any of your experience with laying in your senior Hamburgs (or tips on other breeds that are long laying).

This is a gorgeous hen from a pair of Largefowl that I picked up at the Springfield Ma. show last week..........................................................................chrisf

Back
Top Bottom