Hamburgs with crests?

in Europe they consider bearded and nonbearded Polish to be separate breeds. Likely what you are reading is an early account of that. They say that laced (the ancestors of which were spangled) Polish were always bearded and always larger than the solid bodied, white crested Polish. Also you have to keep in mind that breeds have changed names over the years. Likely The Hamburg we know today had a different name back then, just as Cochins have been called Pekins and Shanghais in the past. The book you are reading was published in 1853 so likely this is the case. If you go on to read it says these Hamburgs had 2 horns for a comb and white earlobes....sounds like a bearded Polish to me.

Last edited:
Thank you. I know see that the Bolton Grey Fowl mentioned on the next few pages are the same as the modern Silver Penciled Hamburgs.

and thank you for the link, I'm going to have to read through this book, it looks most intriguing, especially the other crested birds mentioned and the multiple varieties of Sumatra

Back
Top Bottom