Hamster/Rabbit waterer....

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
A week or so ago someone on BYC suggested using a Hamster/Rabbit waterer for my chicks. Well, today I went to the pet store and bought one. I put it in with my 8-9 week old chicks and one of them ran over and started trying to figure the thing out. She couldnt quit figure it out so I showed her a few times. Finally she made it work but the other ones havent really caught on yet. We ended up getting rain showers and I had to bring the chickens back in their brooder. (I know, I know they should already be in their coop. But it is still under construction.)
Well I have some questions about the hamster/rabbit waterer.....Should I still leave their regular water down too for the ones who havent figured the hamster/rabbit waterer out yet? Or will they just use the regular waterer over the hamster/rabbit one? Also, is one waterer enough for 6 chickens? Or should I get afew more?
For those of you who have used hamster/rabbit waterers for your chicks, how long did it take for your chicks to get the hang of using it?
big_smile.png
Thanks everyone!

I would not leave another form of waterer in with them once you have established the rabbit bottle. Otherwise they will just defer to drinking from the open bowl or fount. Tap the tip so that a drop of water hangs on the end. Or try picking up a chick and using its beak to tap the ball until it gets a drop of water. It only takes one chick to figure it out and the rest will follow quickly. However, I always offer a regular fount-style waterer in the first few hours after they have been shipped. They are so hungry and thirsty at that point that I want all of them to fill up quickly and get stable.

I tried and tried but they just havent taken to it well. They dont all like it. And the ones that try to drink from it dont seem to get enough, when I put their other water in there they all run over to it like they are dying of thirst. So I just took it out of the pen. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am curious on an answer too. I was tempted to buy one the other day !

We were going to make our own waterer with the nipples but shipping on the tiny things is over $10.00 Come on ! Are you kidding ?????? Looking for another solution.

This lack of sucess trying to utilize watering devices designed for rabbits, hamsters, rats, etc. should not deter anyone from using nipple drinkers designed for chickens.

I used rabbit waterers for this year's chicks. They did well with them.....other than the fact that they all wanted to use the same one at the exact same moment!

It was much easier for me....no spillage, no muck....but I was never sure they were getting enough water. When they had the choice, they always ran for the standard waterer.

I'm not sure if I'll try them again next year or not.

Back
Top Bottom