Hand feeding a picky cockatiel

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Hi, so I just got my cockatiel yesterday who’s around 8weeks and last night she ate well but this morning she was being very picky and not getting the syringe in her mouth completely so I can’t feed her, otherwise it’ll get all over her. She did eat half of the syringe though. Also what’s the ideal temperature for her to be in always because my living room is always a bit cold but since I have mild allergies such as sneezing I can’t put her in the bedroom 24/7. Any tips on that as well?

I'm not an expert by any means on cockatiels, but why do you have to hand feed her? She probably doesn't like the syringe and just doesn't want to take it. You can buy cockatiel feed at pet stores that she will probably prefer to the syringe!

If you need it a little chilly she will probably adjust to it. Also I recommend doing a lot of dusting/vacumming because a bird like that will generate quite a bit of dust, which will probably cause your allergies to act up!

Good luck with you bird!

Use a spoon. Get a pair of pliers and someone with strong hands and bend the oval part into a slightly rounded triangle. It feels more like a beak to them.

Chances are your bird is going lite getting ready to fledge. They will lower their food intake before flying to lighten up on weight. At 8 weeks old I really do think your bird is weaning.

Do add millet to her cage or box so if she/he wants to nibble on something she can learn to eat on her own. I also used to give them foods with textures when they were close to weaning, things like scrambled eggs or moist oatmeal. You can also put a little bit of apple out for her to nibble on, although I found mine never cared for fruit so much. But they do like exploring textures. Celery, apple, romaine lettuce, sunflower seeds or kernels (no salt).

I raised and handfed cockatiels for years :)

Use a spoon. Get a pair of pliers and someone with strong hands and bend the oval part into a slightly rounded triangle. It feels more like a beak to them.

Chances are your bird is going lite getting ready to fledge. They will lower their food intake before flying to lighten up on weight. At 8 weeks old I really do think your bird is weaning.

Do add millet to her cage or box so if she/he wants to nibble on something she can learn to eat on her own. I also used to give them foods with textures when they were close to weaning, things like scrambled eggs or moist oatmeal. You can also put a little bit of apple out for her to nibble on, although I found mine never cared for fruit so much. But they do like exploring textures. Celery, apple, romaine lettuce, sunflower seeds or kernels (no salt).

I raised and handfed cockatiels for years :)

Thanks, she does have water and seeds as well as sunflower seeds as options to eat if she wants to. I will try offering her other foods as well. I may try the spoon option as well. She’s missing a bit of her crest and has a bald spot which I don’t know if it’s because she’s a baby or not? Again, thanks.

What color is she? White face Lutio and cinnamons are known for bald spots. It's more noticeable when they are babies but as adults most of the bare spot is covered by the crest. You can still see a little of his bald spot.

Is this what you mean by she's missing a little crest?
birds 182.JPG

Certian mutations have bald heads due to breeding the same mutations to eachother ie: lutino to lutino, cinnamon to cinnamon etc

She's a regular gray, but it seems that her crest is growing back now, so I feel like the other tiels may have picked at her before I got her. What are some good introductions to human food? She doesn't seem to like fruits yet which is odd but she'll chomp on millet all day. Thanks.

Ours don’t like fruit. They love their greens though and Swiss Chard is everybody’s favourite. Look up ‘chop’ for parrots. It’s an easy way to give them variety. Ours love brown rice too.

Back
Top Bottom