Hand raised hen turned hand agressive- any chicken psychologists here?

allmypeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Maine
I purposely went and got a Light Bramah chick end of last summer as I read they were supposedly very docile and Quote: 'good around toddlers etc...very patient, passive birds...' (HA HA!)

27552_dave_and_chicks.jpg

It was very important to us that we have a friendly bird as under town ordinance we can only have 3 chickens and already had two. We raised this chick in the house with a silkie roo about the same age. She was initially super friendly and attatched to us. When finally introducing her to the other two hens, she'd hide between our legs or fly up on us for 'protection' from the 2 bullies (a red star and a RR mix). The silkie rooster lives separately from the hens as a house pet (due to no roo ordinance). So he is non exhistant to the hens.

Needless to say she became low bird on the totum pole. However, very recently (She is now 10 months old) and I'd say about 2 months ago she began attacking people. I can't figure out why as it is unprovoked. Its not like the 'curious pecks' that chickens give when they think you have food or are wiping their beaks on you or investigating your ring or jeans....This is full blown feathers ruffled, grabs skin and twists! She has made my husband and myself bleed on several occasions while bending down for the food dish or to scatter hay, pet another chicken, etc etc... If you pick her up and hold her she will bite your hand over and over until you put her down- it makes it impossible to examin her when needed.

My husband just stays out of her way, when she bites me I stand up and rather than backing off she then puffs up and almost acts rooster like in the way she jumps and throws her feet out at me. But I refuse to back down and I grab her and ignore her painfull bites. I also pin her down and use my fingers and 'pretend to peck her' with them -throwing myself into the 'pecking order' (not hard, but she doesnt like it)...it seems to work momentarily in that the next time I persue her she stops and squats low to the ground wings out submissive-like. I just pat her and leave her alone then, but it only lasts briefly, she will bite me again when she has the chance.

I don't get this as she was always such a docile bird, never stands up for herself against the other two, and yet she has the nerve to randomly attack US!!! She is NOT broody. She isnt laying as its winter in Maine, I think I got two eggs all season...
27552_nellie.jpg

Any chicken psycholigists in the house!!???

I will rehome her if she doesnt smarten up!

27552_nellie_2.jpg

Last edited:
I had an EE who got meanish. She calmed down as soon as she began to lay again. I wonder if she feels bad somehow. Sort of like a sick child who acts out. Gloria Jean

Almost kinda like a pitbull. Something goes "click" in their head, then all of a sudden they turn on you. The only suggestion I have is this: Pick her up, then grab her feet with your hands and hold her upside down and dont let go of her. Let her flop, flap, squawk til she stops. (dont do this if she's been eating or drinking). What you are doing is showing her who the boss is. Once she stops her antics, turn her rightside up and hold her normally,petting her gently and walk around the yard with her,talking to her in a calm gentle voice, for 30 minutes a day all at one time. Repeat this procedure daily as needed. Eventually she'll calm down and be more managable.

Last edited:
actually, what I ended up doing was grabbing her and using my finger to 'peck' her. I would tap her all over and she would struggle to attack me back and then realized I wasn't going to stop and when I put her down and she attempted it again I'd chase her and she'd freak out and ever since then she has been back to normal....

I think she just was sick of being the low bird ont he totum pole and decided I was a 'softy' to push around....got THAT thought out of her head I did! Now she 'squats' like the others when I come near her...!

smile.png

27552_big_nellie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom