Hand raised muscovy duck questions

Crywild

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Talent, OR
I have a 4 week old muscovy that was hand raised and is totally imprinted on people. (Her mother killed the other 2 that hatched, she was saved) She needs to be moved outside and gradually introduced to the rest of the flock. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

I was thinking if I found a friend duck about her age it might go better, but can only get another duck either 2 weeks older or younger than her. We did build another duck box and can easily keep her separate. Please help. She would rather sit on the couch with us and watch TV than be with her own kind.

I have a 4 week old muscovy that was hand raised and is totally imprinted on people. (Her mother killed the other 2 that hatched, she was saved) She needs to be moved outside and gradually introduced to the rest of the flock. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I was thinking if I found a friend duck about her age it might go better, but can only get another duck either 2 weeks older or younger than her. We did build another duck box and can easily keep her separate. Please help. She would rather sit on the couch with us and watch TV than be with her own kind.
I had one like that mother killed the other 2 also and it was really a miracle this one survived, turned out to be a drake, but from day of hatch till 3 months of age he lived inside with us, thought he was a dog. every day though i would take him out around the other ducks and because i was with him he wasn't picked on. when he turned 3 months we went an bought hjim 3 ducks of his own so he would have them to grow up with. and they have imprinted on him and him on them. My other drake has 5 girls this one has 3. The way our duck houise is set up i have stalls where my drakes have their own bedrooms and my girls have theirs. so he had his own bedroom which made it impossible for the other drake to pick on him or the other ducks. Getting your duck out side each day spending time with the flock is the best way to introduce it and them, just be there in case of unecessary roughness. there will be some pecking it's only natural. when you can't watch put your duck in a closed fenced area where they can all still see each other. it will take time but can be done.also using treats might be another way to introduce, have the whole flock in an area where they can all be together and throw out some kind of treat they all like that way they are so busy pigging out they don't notice the new one.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My story is similar, "Chips" was the only hatchling in an incubator, it has been living indoors for four weeks with only us for company... on Saturday one of my Muscovy girls came home with five chicks,,, ideal opportunity I thought to integrate Chips with them.. it is proving hard as Chips thinks it is human,,, Muscovy Mum is not too sure of Chips being with her babies,,, fingers crossed all will work out well!

Chips still wants human company BUT I am hopeful of a positive outcome for Chips

Suzie

My story is similar, "Chips" was the only hatchling in an incubator, it has been living indoors for four weeks with only us for company... on Saturday one of my Muscovy girls came home with five chicks,,, ideal opportunity I thought to integrate Chips with them.. it is proving hard as Chips thinks it is human,,, Muscovy Mum is not too sure of Chips being with her babies,,, fingers crossed all will work out well!

Chips still wants human company BUT I am hopeful of a positive outcome for Chips

Suzie
fl.gif
Hi Suzie, Congrats on the Scovie babies, I can tell you eventually Chips will fit in. Opie did but even after he was fully outside with the flock and hanging out with his girls he still came inside to visit, We have a doggie door and he used it. LOL

Back
Top Bottom