Hand-taming a young chick

flyingsaucer

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2019
I have a brood of 6 that I incubated and hatched (shipped eggs). One of them is a high percentage Spalding, nearly 2 weeks old now. Despite socialization and handling from the beginning, this little one is getting harder and harder to catch by the day.

S/he is sweet-tempered, otherwise. Prefers to perch on my shoulder and would probably hang out all day with me if possible. But when it comes to returning to the brooder, "Drogon" is becoming increasingly dramatic about being caught. We are trying to create gentle adults that can be (somewhat) easily caught if need be. How can I go about negating this aversion to being held, while maintaining trust?

You are setting yourself up for a possible aggressive cock when he becomes mature. If a hen she will not be socially acceptable towards the other birds and will be very bossy and beat up on the other hens. That being said I continuously break those rules and have many imprinted birds and even more tame birds, yes, there is a great difference between tame and imprinted. What you have described is imprinted, tame means eat from your hand but not touching.
IMG_8775.JPG

You are setting yourself up for a possible aggressive cock when he becomes mature. If a hen she will not be socially acceptable towards the other birds and will be very bossy and beat up on the other hens. That being said I continuously break those rules and have many imprinted birds and even more tame birds, yes, there is a great difference between tame and imprinted. What you have described is imprinted, tame means eat from your hand but not touching.
View attachment 2200403
Nice photo Bill!!!!

Thanks for the replies!!

KsKingBee, what a lovely bird. I’ve done more research and realize that peas are quite a bit different than other fowl we tend to keep, personality-wise. I’ve since been working with this spalding and the other babies on “stepping up” onto my hand or arm if I want to move them anywhere — and then gently encouraging them to step off — which they are way more comfortable with than me grabbing and securely holding their wings down next to my body (only to be employed out of necessity going forward). This has resulted in drama-free interactions. I also hand feed them a treat daily so they will be comfortable with my hands as adults.

Drogon still prefers my shoulder, or lap, and lets me stroke his chin (assuming possibly male due to the heavy barring on his wings at this point, but will prob post some pics later. They will all be DNA tested before two years of age, any way). I didnt intentionally try to imprint him and realize the issues this may cause down the road, but hopefully they will be manageable if they do occur.

Back
Top Bottom