Hand turning eggs

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
Is it just me or do others like to hand turn their eggs. I never do a very large hatch and I enjoy doing it.

I don't have the bator open as I have a small window I move so temps stay good.

When I was growing up my grandmother had a round metal incubator she used to hatch in and I got to turn the eggs. I always looked forward to doing that and seeing the chicks hatch. Maybe that's why I prefer a hands on approach.

I have an old Brower metal incubator, with 8 buff orpington and 7 blue bantam cochin eggs in it. I agree with you...I just like turning them myself. I should be receiving my Hovabator 1602N today...my birthday present to myself lol. I ordered it without a turner for the same reason. I try to simulate the natural environment of a hen...she has to stand up and turn her own eggs!
jumpy.gif
I think everything's becoming tooooooo scientific. Just think about how nature occurs, and try to get as close to that as you can. If it's meant to be, it will be...it's not in our hands.
wink.png

I hand turn my eggs as well and dont mind it, though someday I hope to get a turner!
It might improve my hatch rate, I dont know.

I hand turn my single first egg.
smile.png
it's pretty easy, but auto turner might be easier...
hmm.png

I also turn mine via the hand method. The only downside is that i've heard that your hand-oils can cause bacteria. After I heard that, I wear gloves every time. I also ditched the cotton ones after I dropped one of the eggs and it smashed! Now mine have a vinyl area on the fingers (shooting gloves) and they hold them really well!

Quote:
I don't go and turn them or whatever with nasty hands, but I don't worry too much about it. I mean, it's not like the hen walks through sanitizer every time she goes on the nest!

I wash my hands good before each turn, and I use egg cartons. I wouldn't want a turner...I like being close to them and I candle OFTEN. I have heard that a lot of the older hatching guides recommend a small cooling down each day anyway......I supose this mimics the environment of the hen turning hers by hand.
smile.png
All the babies I have lost, I pretty much know why, and none was a result of hand turning and touching the eggs.
smile.png

Last edited:
I turn my eggs by hand, too. I got a turner (haven't used it yet) for when I have to be gone over night or all day. Otherwise, I plan to turn my eggs by hand.

Back
Top Bottom