Hand Turning vs Auto Turning Duck Eggs-A Hypothesis

Quote:
Those are two different variables: cooling and hand-turning

From my experience, waterfowl eggs should be turned on their side (makes no difference whether it is by hand or machine). This will result in better hatch rates whether the eggs are "cooled" or not. That being said, I think that brief occasional cooling imitates natural incubation, and is something that should be considered as well. Even if the eggs weren't turned vertically and intentionally cooled, you would see decreased hatch rates than if turned horizontally.

If you haven't already, you might consider reading this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=306686

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, very well thought out and they have given me something to ponder. It looks as though my lack of experience leaves a lot to be desired (and a lot to learn
big_smile.png
)! ) about hatching eggs. Hmm, I would tend to doubt my hypothesis from what you are saying about the time spent while turning, and it would require some modifications and further thinking/experiment modeling, but thanks for indulging me
smile.png
!
Chickboss-I follow you, it does make sense.
thumbsup.gif
Lol, ahhh coffee, the wonder fruit. Would have helped me at 1 am while having a hair brained idea lol!
Highcountrychickens- Doubt I will test this without significant changes, experience and moolah. Haha, regarding my unusual alternative interests- well the ride here alone kind of takes the fun out of it, and besides, they are all confined to a room. Also, no poultry would ever go to feed the spiders. A dead chick might feed the snake though
hu.gif

While we're on the subject, any other ideas as to why hand turning/being turned on the side are better? Does a side roll-turner exist for hovabator?

Quote:
Although many serious breeders advocate horizontal turning, I've only heard one possible explanation for why hand turning would improve waterfowl egg hatch rates. And I'm not sure how accurate that explanation is. But I do that knorw that eggs naturally lay on their side and are turned by the hen in that position. I've heard that the developing embryo requires the movement for proper development. Back in the day, when one of the first incubators with auto-turners became popular (a GQF cabinet sytle incubator), some large-scale hatcheries noticed that their hatch rates went down... it was attributed to the auto-turner and how the egg sit vertically. Thats why many serious breeders use older cabinet incubators like the Leahy with no auto-turner.

Last edited:
Chickboss-I follow you, it does make sense.
thumbsup.gif
Lol, ahhh coffee, the wonder fruit. Would have helped me at 1 am while having a hair brained idea lol!
Highcountrychickens- Doubt I will test this without significant changes, experience and moolah. Haha, regarding my unusual alternative interests- well the ride here alone kind of takes the fun out of it, and besides, they are all confined to a room. Also, no poultry would ever go to feed the spiders. A dead chick might feed the snake though
hu.gif

Yeah, you Seatle-ites really "get" the coffee thing. It is an obsession!!!
love.gif

And, that would be one HUGE spider!!!!!!
lau.gif

Here are some things I would like to check out in the future in terms of hatching when I have broody hens. I have no idea how to go about it,
tongue.png
but can't help but wonder any way because mothers are sooooo much better at hatching from what I've been reading. I wonder if you could somehow test the PH levels in the area, air, moisture around the eggs. I wonder if it makes a difference. I just keep thinking that ducks nest in all kinds of materials that will on some level begin or continue to decompose during the incubation period, and if this alters the enviroment to some subtle degree that the egg is adapted to. Then of corse, there is momma herself. It seems like they are incredibly in tune with what is happening inside those eggs. Granted, you would have to have a pretty docile broody to have her let you fiddle with her nest enough to find out. But I just wonder what she is picking up on. The temp of the egg its self? I know she can hear them towards the end.... LOL, off to find more of that coffee, and some cold medicine... I wonder if you could stick PH strips and fish tank themometers on the eggs...LOL. IDK, just having fun with it....
smile.png

I have a batch in with a hovabator goose egg tuner and they are doing really good. They are laying on their sides in this type of turner. You can bend the wire to prevent them from hard rolling. Holderread suggests that it is better to have them lay on their sides and he also recommends daily misting with warm water. Cooling is only needed in still air incubators, not in fan circulated incubators. He further suggest to use an automatic turner instead of hand turning.
Katharina

I have tried a few different things with my eggs. I tried one hatch - with half the eggs in the turner, and half hand turned. There was a much better hatch from the eggs that were hand turned. All were misted every few days as well - and they were shipped eggs. I do not buy eggs now, as I have my breeding stock all worked out- And since I have found what works best for me with my incubator..I dont experiment anymore.
Thanks this is very useful new incubator its Day 1 today have eggs tilting automatically and I had already though would switch it off and hand turn as its not getting 180 degree turn like duck eggs need. So thanks for the info its very useful. I think these point down tilting auto turners are more for chicken eggs. And you are right Mother Duck leaves nest to feed and drink so quick manual turns are no different. Again thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom