Hand well pump

Quote:
We have one of those but I was always under the impression that it ran off the electric pump down in the well?

I have been thinking of installing a wind powered water pump for the pasture but no one I know really understands how to do it.

Yes, the frost free hydrant runs off the electricity that runs the wll pump. The only advantage is it self-drains back into the well so the top part doesn't freeze.

Quote:
And isn't that sad? They used to be EVERYWHERE. There are places out there that still know how to install windmills but they're so outrageously expensive you can't really do it unless you're rolling in dough.

I just had a frost free hydrant installed yesterday. If I could have found a hand pump I would've installed one. There's an old one here on our property, but the well is dry and the pump is missing the important parts.

Quote:
And isn't that sad? They used to be EVERYWHERE. There are places out there that still know how to install windmills but they're so outrageously expensive you can't really do it unless you're rolling in dough.

I just had a frost free hydrant installed yesterday. If I could have found a hand pump I would've installed one. There's an old one here on our property, but the well is dry and the pump is missing the important parts.

Yes, I was amazed at the fact that no one knew how - even though when you drive down the road you see them every few miles on ranch property - though most of them don't work anymore.

Another lost art?

Any well over 100' deep I think will be a problem, you need .433 lbs. per Ft. to over come the weight of the colum of water, for a 100' lift you need to make 43.3 lbs of pressure to over come the static head just to get it out of the ground

Frontporch and verthandi,,,, The frost free hydrant is NOT a pump, it's a facuet, you still have to get the water to it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I actually thought of that after I posted about the frost free. My mind wander when the OP was concerned about freezing. And I tend to forget that the frost free that I had worked because I also have a generator that kept my regular water pump operating. So it really was useless information for the general question asked.

Back
Top Bottom