Handicap Chicken (and other poultry) Contest! RESULTS (FINALLY) pg 7

Name: Juliet

Breed: Ancona

How chicken got its handicap: She was a shipped chick, one of three Anconas in the shipment. Was weak from the start and just never improved. She has never walked. For a long time she couldn't hold her head up either. She eats like a little piggy and has a HUGE will to live.

What makes your chicken special besides its defect: She is not mine. She lives at my mother's house and belongs to a little 10 year old girl my mother is raising. Juliet's little girl just happens to have cerebral palsy and walks with crutches or a walker. These two are very close and bonded almost instantly. It is heartwarming to see the two of them together.

7091_juliet.jpg

Last edited:
Here's mine.

Name: Tessie the Headless Chicken!!
Breed: Black sexie

headlesschicken.jpg

How chicken got its handicap:

Tessie was squashed by the other chicks that I bought at the same time as her. She was wiggling down in the pine shavings. She was "lucky" 2 others died doing the same thing. Her neck was badly twisted and it never corrected itself. She could not lift her head higher than her shoulder.

What makes your chicken special:
Tessie had lots of spunk. She didn't know she was different. She did things "differently" than others but thought she was just the same as them. It was easier for her to walk and run backwards to get to where she wanted to go. She would run right over you to get to treats. One day she shocked the living day lights out of me when she flew. Only about 3 or 4 feet but she flew!!

Tessie consistantly laid double yolkers every day!!

I lost her when she was about 9 months old when a neighbor, who was busy with issues in his life, didn't have time to look after his dogs. They attacked and killed her one day when I was at work. She never had a chance.

ETA: back to fix it according to entry form

Last edited:
Name: Snowball.
Breed White Silkie.

How chicken got its handicap: Snowball was the only hatching from a broody hen that hid her eggs and went broody in the end of October. Snowball was hatched in November. The odds was aganist the litte girl I scooped them up and brough them inside trying to keep momma and baby inside as long as possible with her stinky poos it didnt last long. I put momma and snowball back outside in a place I thought was good and safe and warm for momma and baby. When snowball was about 3 months in feb when the big ice storm hit. I couldnt get to my chickens for 2 days when I finally got to them I saw snowball was missing. I searched and searched for her. Finding her about 3-4 steps behind me in the snow and ice barly hanging on for life. I rushed her in wrapped in my coat and warmed a towel and wrapped her in it and put her in a box under a heating lamp I thought she'd never make it about 2 hours later she was 100% back up on her feet like nothing ever happened. She has no toes. just nobs she gets around well. Her skin on her face is white not black or purplish. Her face was frost bitten. so that is why her face is now white. She is such a sweet little girl and I can't believe I made it out there just in time to save her.

What makes your chicken special besides its defect: Snowball is a leader she was newly introduced to other chicks her age and she took top spot right away. She is not scared of anything for a SILKIE. Her disablity does not make her weak but stronger.

SNOWBALL!
SDC12370.jpg

****New Update: New Category, see pg. 1****
****New Update: I feel it would be too hard for me to handle this contest if each member could submit 3 birds. Please note the change: ONE BIRD PER PERSON! Sorry if this interferes with anyone's plans.****

~chickenbuddy

Last edited:
Name: Bald E. Chicken
Breed: Buff Orpington

How chicken got its handicap:
She was a rescue. She started life up to her first birthday living in a 4x4 crate with 5 other chickens. The others had picked her completely bald. Well, we got a nice run and coop together for her and the other girls and all was well, so we thought. Bald E. Chicken then was severly attacked by a raccoon which left her blind in one eye. She fully recovered after a month and we sent her back out with the others. She has had several incidents since but the raccoon attack was the worst. She has adapted well and thinks she is the boss of the coop now.

What makes your chicken special besides its defect:
A chicken that seems to have 9 lives. She has a very strong will to live and she is definatly the sweetest chicken we have.

The photo is of her comfortably sitting in DH's lap recovering from Bumblefoot

DSC02840.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom