handling baby ducks?

vtsarahb

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Bradford, VT
I just got same baby ducks.... and I've never raised any before. Are you supposed to handle baby ducks to get them used to people? Or will this just make them more fearful of humans?

I handle all of our ducklings routinely when they're in my bathtub brooder, and I can't say as though they act like they like it!

I do think it's important, though, to check them over regularly, and also to get them accustomed to being handled. Most of the animals on our small farm are here for the long term (we don't run breeding or meat operations) and so they'll need attention periodically for routine cuts and scrapes, vaccinations, foot trims etc.

So we do play with the ducklings while they're in the brooder, and try to handle them and get them accustomed to people being around. They still act like we're going to kill them every time we go near them, but it certainly hasn't made them more fearful of humans.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that the ducks are just the drama queens of our farm-- they'll pitch a bi**ch about ANYTHING!

thanks for the advice!
smile.png
I have 4, they are blue swedish.

Quote:
I do not know about Blue Swedish ducks, but Rouen ducks are friendly and can be likable until big then can be pests.. Following you everwhere....
lol.png

I have Cayuga ducks and they were always skittish of me.. kept distance between me and them even when little..

I have one Rouen left and it's gotten the Cayuga ways now..
lol.png

Stick them on your feet and say duckduckduck and keep them on your feet for a few seconds, and then step away and say duckduckduck. Repeat until they follow you. They want someone to follow- theyre ducklings, its hardwired into them.

The more you handle them the more they associate with you and want to be with and around you like they would their hen and drake.

Back
Top Bottom