Handling chicks question!!!

AMSpsg18

Songster
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Somersworth NH
I have multiple small children that either live with me or around me and I was wondering if you can hold your chicks too much. They are in their brooder the majority of the time and each chick gets a break from the kids but should there be a max time being held?

I'll have pictures of my new girls soon I just love them! I've gone a little nuts with the camera
lol.png

Well, once the newness factor wears off a bit, it shouldn't be so bad:) However, I have a rule that the young'uns may not hold, play, or otherwise unless I am in direct attendance to supervise. Chicks, although the resilient little creatures they are, are still fragile babies and prone to be dropped, stepped on, etc. Perhaps your children are older and trustworthy with the chicks? If not, then I would limit the time to how much time you are willing to supervise:)

I'll be interested to hear what everyone else has to say, as I am new to BYC. My chicks (4) are 1 week old. My daughters (5 yrs old) like to pet them and hold them, but I make sure I am always present. I hold the chick first, and then put her carefully into my daughter's waiting hands. Then I take the chick back from her when she's done and put the chick back in the brooder. We limit this to 1-2 times a day, although we are observing them and talking to them frequently throughout the day.

My 3 year old loves to hold the chicks. I do like the previous poster, I take the chick and put it in her hands, then I take the chick back when she is done. We usually do it once a day. Both of my girls like to sit in the bathroom and watch the brooder. I have one of those child proof doorknobs on the outside of the bathroom so they can't get in there without me.

Well I have a 4 year old younger sister and 2 younger brothers 9 and 10 then we have the neighbors children one is 6 and the other is 10 So I have a ton of anxious hands to fill, the younger ones I have sit on the floor to hold them since her hands are smaller and I did make the I must be there rule. We just picked them up last night from my friends house so they haven't be groped too much yet but I was thinking a couple minutes with each chick 3 times a day? I will also have outside playtime with the chicks on warm days when they are a bit older but I don't know when I should start doing that any ideas? I want these girls to be well rounded and friendly lol I also don't want to over do it
smile.png
I own big chickens but I have never dealt with the wee ones yet so I'm sorry for all the new momma questions
lol.png

Thanks for your answers and opinions I look forward to hearing more!

Back
Top Bottom