Handling Ducklings

samuelsonfarm

Chirping
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Hello all!
We're so excited to have just received our 10 little ducklings (3 black runners, 3 fawn and white runners, 2 jumbo pekins, 2 cayugas) from Metzer farm this morning. They are a happy and lively little bunch! Anyways, I want to know how much we can/should handle them. I have a 5 year old who wants to hold them all the time. Is this good for their temperament if they are handled a lot as ducklings, or will this stress them out too much? She's been hovering over the brooder and petting them all afternoon. I made her give them some breaks and they went right to sleep. They're just simply adorable. Any tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all!
We're so excited to have just received our 10 little ducklings (3 black runners, 3 fawn and white runners, 2 jumbo pekins, 2 cayugas) from Metzer farm this morning. They are a happy and lively little bunch! Anyways, I want to know how much we can/should handle them. I have a 5 year old who wants to hold them all the time. Is this good for their temperament if they are handled a lot as ducklings, or will this stress them out too much? She's been hovering over the brooder and petting them all afternoon. I made her give them some breaks and they went right to sleep. They're just simply adorable. Any tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!
Children need constant supervision when handling small ducklings, they can squeeze to hard and not even realize it, also drop them. so sitting on the floor with mama right there would be a good idea. but also take into account this is stressful for the ducklings and I wouldn't recommend it more than a couple times a day. And it being stressed that the ducklings because they wiggle so much are not to be picked up with out asking mommie first. Maybe place the brooder up high unless both of you are there. I know it's exciting for children but you have to take into account how fragile these ducklings are at 2-3 days old. And being handled too much can cause too much stress and may be detrimental to their health. Be sure she washes her hands before and after holding the lil ones. And Congratulations on your new babies. and
welcome-byc.gif

We incubated and hatched out two Welsh Harlequin ducklings. Our daughters, five and six, loved on them from day one. We did make sure they stayed warm under the lamp, but they held them (while supervised) and it was fine.

Lots of attention and handling but not so much it interferes with their baby behavior like sleeping eating drinking pooping pooping and of course more pooping lol. Also if you have their brooder in a place you are often like the living room or whatever area in your house that you are a lot it helps too. It helps them get used to noise and constant movement and seeing you. Sitting and talking to them works good too. Mine liked it better when I sang not that I have a great voice but idk they liked it. Start slowly and then work your way up to handling them 4 or 5+ times a day. If you start off with like once or twice a day it helps them to get to know you better and not freak out so much. That way by the time your handling them often they aren't so stressed.

Thank you all for the great advice! Here is a few pictures of my little ones snuggling with the babies. We're all in love with them! They had some short visits out of the brooder today, but when they were sleeping or eating we left them alone. Boy, they sure do make a mess, but they're oh so cute :)

Thank you all for the great advice! Here is a few pictures of my little ones snuggling with the babies. We're all in love with them! They had some short visits out of the brooder today, but when they were sleeping or eating we left them alone. Boy, they sure do make a mess, but they're oh so cute :)

Adorable pics.

Thought I'd post another adorable photo...I can't get enough of these guys! One week since hatching :)

Back
Top Bottom