Handling lockdown with two different hatch dates...

CrazyChickens09

Songster
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
SC Kansas
I have a few eggs due next friday (4/25) and then eight due (4/29). What is the best way to handle lockdown for two separate hatch dates as this is my first time doing two different hatch dates (the ones due 4/29 are shipped eggs). Thank you for you help and suggestions a head of time.

Just business as normal around my place. I have incubators going pretty well all season. More eggs are added as soon as there is space. In a cabinet incubator they just get moved to the bottom or off to a hatcher, no big deal.

With a tabletop I run an electric turner in it. I'll disable the turner under the ones about to hatch but leave the arm to it hooked up to the ones that still need turning. Hatching eggs sitting straight up in the turners. Humidity brought up to 65% for 3 days. At hatch time plug removed if condensation appears on window. Remove chicks when dry. Remove hatching eggs and wash out the liner and or egg rack. Go back to 50% humidity until 3 days before the next hatch. Seems to never effect hatch rates for me.

I wasn't for sure if not turning the shipped eggs the day before their lockdown would hurt or help. I do all the turning by hand. Thank you.

I
Just business as normal around my place. I have incubators going pretty well all season. More eggs are added as soon as there is space. In a cabinet incubator they just get moved to the bottom or off to a hatcher, no big deal.

With a tabletop I run an electric turner in it. I'll disable the turner under the ones about to hatch but leave the arm to it hooked up to the ones that still need turning. Hatching eggs sitting straight up in the turners. Humidity brought up to 65% for 3 days. At hatch time plug removed if condensation appears on window. Remove chicks when dry. Remove hatching eggs and wash out the liner and or egg rack. Go back to 50% humidity until 3 days before the next hatch. Seems to never effect hatch rates for me. 
I was wondering I was just candling my 7 day old eggs and realized a few of the ones I REALLY want to hatch good are WAY farther along then the rest!!! air cells look about to where my last hatch (which was my very first) when they were going on lockdown so should i just up the humidity Tom and hope for the best?? I have no idea except that my kids found some eggs that my broody hen had been laying on and then discarded or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom