Handling skittish/flighty chicks that haven’t been conditioned

M

member 615286

My two 4-week old chicks (welsummer, Easter egger), recently acquired, were not handled previously, so are understandably skittish.
I understand and have been working on general conditioning practices, spending time with them without handling, allowing them to approach for treats, getting used to being around me/walking on my hand, etc. They aren’t interested in treats I’ve used with past chicks (I will determine more enticing options).

My question is about handling them in the meantime. Knowing to scoop them up from below, rather than from above, how do I accomplish this when they run the second I move in their direction, (sitting next to them moving my hand horizonally along the ground towards them with the intention to scoop them up. They scurry away almost immediately.
I need to handle them to get them out for short times to acclimated them to the outdoors prior moving them outside which Im needing to soon.

Any thoughts or previous posts/resources (I have searched for/read many prior to posting this) would be appreciated.
Thank you!

My two 4-week old chicks (welsummer, Easter egger), recently acquired, were not handled previously, so are understandably skittish.
I understand and have been working on general conditioning practices, spending time with them without handling, allowing them to approach for treats, getting used to being around me/walking on my hand, etc. They aren’t interested in treats I’ve used with past chicks (I will determine more enticing options).

My question is about handling them in the meantime. Knowing to scoop them up from below, rather than from above, how do I accomplish this when they run the second I move in their direction, (sitting next to them moving my hand horizonally along the ground towards them with the intention to scoop them up. They scurry away almost immediately.
I need to handle them to get them out for short times to acclimated them to the outdoors prior moving them outside which Im needing to soon.

Any thoughts or previous posts/resources (I have searched for/read many prior to posting this) would be appreciated.
Thank you!
I would honestly say just try to pick them up, and let them get comfortable on your lap. Maybe try to get them to sleep there. Pet then gently behind their necks and on their back, where you know it must feel good. Hold them frequently, but if they do their panick-peep, put them back with their fellows. Don't make any sudden movements around you, and yes I would try different treats.

There is definitely a difference between chicks that grow up never being handled, and chicks that are accustomed to being handled, and it affects them their entire life. It is good to handle them early, and they get used to it.

I have chicks and young peeps now that dont run when i go to pick them up, because they have been handled just a few times. I have to put some of them to their beds at night which is why they are used to me. So it helps to handle them at night, at least it saves you from chasing them.

Lots of my current adults are now lap chickens that dont run because they were handled as babies. And a lot of my adults that were never handled are absolutely terrified if i even walk towards them.

My babies now are trained to get put in their beds at night, so they generally come looking for me at sundown, or they stand by the door waiting to be picked up.

There is definitely a difference between chicks that grow up never being handled, and chicks that are accustomed to being handled, and it affects them their entire life. It is good to handle them early, and they get used to it.

I have chicks and young peeps now that dont run when i go to pick them up, because they have been handled just a few times. I have to put some of them to their beds at night which is why they are used to me. So it helps to handle them at night, at least it saves you from chasing them.

Lots of my current adults are now lap chickens that dont run because they were handled as babies. And a lot of my adults that were never handled are absolutely terrified if i even walk towards them.

My babies now are trained to get put in their beds at night, so they generally come looking for me at sundown, or they stand by the door waiting to be picked up.
Thank you.
I understand this and want to acclimate them to being help. Do you recommend I grab them from above (not ideal I understand why) to spend time holding them since they won’t let me scoop them from below as they can’t been handled up to this point ?

I don't make pets out of my chickens but I handle then when they need to be handled by either taking them off the roost at night or blocking them into a corner so I can catch them.

When doing the latter it's important to be calm and gentle while cornering them and, unless catching someone who is outside the fence and in danger, not making wild grabs.

Thank you.
I understand this and want to acclimate them to being help. Do you recommend I grab them from above (not ideal I understand why) to spend time holding them since they won’t let me scoop them from below as they can’t been handled up to this point ?
You may also want to speak to them when you try to pick them up in a very gentle tone so that they get used to your voice. Have them associate your voice with treats. You'll be surprised how well they respond to your voice when they get used to it.

Same here! I've had 4 hens purchased from a local farm who are absolutely terrified of me and everything else. I've had a Treadle feeder for 6 months now and they're still terrified of it whenever one of them steps on it and the lid opens.

I recently hand raised 14 chicks who have no fear of me and don't flinch one bit when the treadle feeder lid suddenly opens up. In fact they look forward to it as they know goodies are inside!

I would honestly say just try to pick them up, and let them get comfortable on your lap. Maybe try to get them to sleep there. Pet then gently behind their necks and on their back, where you know it must feel good. Hold them frequently, but if they do their panick-peep, put them back with their fellows. Don't make any sudden movements around you, and yes I would try different treats.
I had baby chicks that never were handled, this is what I did. I gave them treats and we tried there way but like you I kinda had a time limit on how long they were going to be inside. I just started picking them up and holding them. They liked perching on my hands as well as running after me now 😂 I love chickens❤️Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom